This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHINHO ELECTRONIC Multi-touch 1000 nit displays
Hi all,
I've been having email and WhatsApp exchanges with a representative of Shinho Electronic. They claim to have a 1000 nit waterproof capacitive multi-touch display. 

I'm very skeptical about this, and requested they send me a video of their display being used with multi-touch. All I got was photos, but they continue to claim that their display will do multi-touch with a Raspberry PI.

Does anyone have any experience with touch displays that will do multi-touch, aside from the Raspberry Foundation display? I remain very skeptical this will work with a normal USB connected display to a RPI.

Andy
Many of those Chinese companies will be pretty willing to send out a sample if they believe they will get a larger, or subsequent orders. In this case, it may be true. If it works as they say, I'd suspect many of us here, including me, would be interested.
I have received a 1000 nit touchscreen from ydtouch.com, testing it out at the moment. Its front panel is waterproof and the touch screen can be used with wet fingers. I've yet to try it out in anger but it's certainly pretty bright. It's only single point touch, although you can specifiy multi-point - they build to order to your specifications. That level of brightness doesn't come cheap, including import duties and taxes my 10.1" screen came in at around $450, but that's still a lot cheaper than the marine guys.
Just received my 10" screen from Shinho Electronic. It is a solid case. Knobs for switching on/off etc are on the backside.

At the back recess are the connectors for HDMi VGA and DVI. USB and power connector for the Touch screen.. Touch works with any special driver. Direct from the box.

Comes complete with the cables and power supply for 240 volt. The actually power is 12 volt.

Screen is clear with good visibility in daylight. Not yet tested with sunlight on the screen.

Capacitive touch works very responsive. However no two finger command.

The front is watertight IP65, but the back is not. Connectors are of course not watertight.

With screen is a mounting set to be a set in an instrument panel and Vesa connector points at the backside.

OpenCPN runs very well on this screen. Not yet ried on the boat.

Will make some images when installed on the boat.

Bram
Great news! I'm glad it worked out for you. I just now posted a how-to in "How I did it" that describes how to get two-finger zoom and right-click. I'd be interested to find out if it works for you.
Forgot to mention that it also has a sound option with speakers. Ais alarm from OpenCPN is very clear. Sound comes via the HDMI connection with the RPI.

Working well on my 64 bits RaspiOS.

Two finger setup not yet tested.

Bram
Once you get two finger set up, a video and a very thorough review and how-to would be appreciated.
(2020-07-11, 12:23 PM)jamieFL Wrote: Once you get two finger set up, a video and a very thorough review and how-to would be appreciated.

I did a howto a few days ago for two-finger touch. https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=2727