This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garmin Striker 4 NMEA Output??
So I am building my system and want to add a depth sounder.  The Garmin Striker looks like a good option given the price (around $120 USD).  There is conflicting information that the external output is proprietary Garmin and others say it is high speed NMEA.

I have an interface for my system that can accept RS422 at either 4800 or 38400....so I should be able to connect.

I am wondering if anyone has used the Striker output and if it will send DPT or DBT??  I have searched high and low and Garmin sure doesn't say much.
(2020-07-01, 08:47 PM)tafische Wrote: So I am building my system and want to add a depth sounder.  The Garmin Striker looks like a good option given the price (around $120 USD).  There is conflicting information that the external output is proprietary Garmin and others say it is high speed NMEA.

I have an interface for my system that can accept RS422 at either 4800 or 38400....so I should be able to connect.

I am wondering if anyone has used the Striker output and if it will send DPT or DBT??  I have searched high and low and Garmin sure doesn't say much.

Nowhere in the manual it says NMEA0183, so one could assume that it is propritary Garmin protocol..
However somewhat simple to check with a laptop, serial USB converter and PUTTY program, and 2 test wires.
But a quick guess is that its a no go..

Br
/Morten
(2020-07-03, 04:22 PM)mTorp Wrote:
(2020-07-01, 08:47 PM)tafische Wrote: So I am building my system and want to add a depth sounder.  The Garmin Striker looks like a good option given the price (around $120 USD).  There is conflicting information that the external output is proprietary Garmin and others say it is high speed NMEA.

Nowhere in the manual it says NMEA0183, so one could assume that it is propritary Garmin protocol..
However somewhat simple to check with a laptop, serial USB converter and PUTTY program, and 2 test wires.
But a quick guess is that its a no go..

Br
/Morten

Thanks for the feedback mTorp.   I am borrowing one in the next couple of days so we will find out for sure.  Based on what I have seen, it appears to use RSR232 so I should be able to get the data out and we shall see the format......Will update once I find out.
Hey @tafische, wondering if you had a change to check the RS232 output on the Striker 4? I was thinking of doing the same thing and hoping to learn from your experience.
(2020-12-07, 07:34 PM)couchichingsail Wrote: Hey @tafische, wondering if you had a change to check the RS232 output on the Striker 4? I was thinking of doing the same thing and hoping to learn from your experience.

Was never able to get anything out of the serial port on the Striker, so it is fully proprietary.   Too bad because it would have been a good solution.

I ended up getting an older unit off eBay and that works great.
I've been serraching for the same purpose. It is RS232 112.500 bauds and it is a propietary protocol.
Look at this post https://blog.openwww.org/garmin-high-spe...r-network/

I've obtained this:
¯►♥►&♦┼╦┤Û¿►♥►♠☻&Ê►♥► üL ♫☺Striker 4 Software Version 2.70VERBMAP NoneVERSMAP NoneVERSPLSCRN Splash Scrn, 200x70, RGB5551, GARMIN 2.00BACKLIGHT LEDÆ►♥►♠☻ ¨►♥►·☻¨♂►♥►♠☻·■►♥►♦

And, after a while, it sensa the same sentence every 5 seconds
T☺AdDnA╔D╩DnDÊA-☺D8☺D.☺AÉ☺DnAX☻DX☻AY☻DY☻A╝☻D╝☻A ♥D ♥Aä♥Aå♥Aç♥AY☻DY☻Aï♥Dï♥Dî♥Dì♥DÄ♥T►♥►♠☻²¹►♥►²cPL☺A

I think it is a bidirectional protocol thar wait to a query.

Supose that it is very hard to decrypt and we need an echomap to know what are the querys.

Best regards
https://support.garmin.com/en-CA/?faq=xX...hKT97PfrJ6 (Wire Functions of the Striker Power Cable) describes how to enable Striker's output on the blue and brown wires, but states that NMEA output is not provided. That might be ambiguous - it could be NMEA plus Garmin extensions.

There is a post on bbcboards that sheds light on it - http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=769003

Todd Driscoll of the Garmin Pro Team states:

"It is easy to get confused over the proprietary Garmin High Speed Protocol (used to share wpts with 2015/16 echoMAP and Striker units) and NMEA 0183 since the wiring is similar. Simply put, there is a Serial Port selection that must be made to enable Garmin High Speed or NMEA 0183 communication with the echoMAPs. Note that the Striker units only support High Speed Protocol."
Here is somebody who is trying to decode it. https://blog.openwww.org/garmin-high-spe...r-network/
Yes, abarrow, That's what I've found. I have send him a message but I am awaiting response.
Thanks mluckham.
The mistery remains...
I wished to send depth data from Striker 4 to my Garmin 158i trought some conversion with Arduino or so but it seems it only sends wpt data asnswering a query (I suppose)...
Leeway Wrote:Yes, abarrow, That's what I've found. I have send him a message but I am awaiting response.
Thanks mluckham.
The mistery remains...
I wished to send depth data from Striker 4 to my Garmin 158i trought some conversion with Arduino or so but it seems it only sends wpt data asnswering a query (I suppose)...

How did you contact him (Kai Römer)? I found no option on his wordpress blog.

I also like to get depth data out of my Garmin Striker PLUS 5cv. You suppose that it is only wpt data. This would fit to what I found in manuals:

"You can connect your STRIKER Plus device to a compatible Garmin device (Striker, echoMAP, echoMAP CHIRP) to share user data, such as waypoints.
User data includes waypoints, saved tracks, routes, and boundaries."

I did not not yet start any experiment with terminal program and more but I am quite pessimistic that the current depth is somewhere in the data at all.

Good evening!