This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Openplotter 2 (latest) NMEA out Woes
I agree. I do what sparticle is trying and it works for me. Guess a lot of people do the same. I even send a mix of data from ocpn and the n2k input to the nmea0183 output.
P
(2020-07-05, 09:58 PM)Celestine Wrote: I agree. I do what sparticle is trying and it works for me. Guess a lot of people do the same. I even send a mix of data from ocpn and the n2k input to the nmea0183 output.
P

I would have thought my use case was the minimum use case. You get data into OpenCPN (In my case from a NMEA wind Instrument and a Digital Yacht AIT5K my AISGPS connection) you activate a course and you want to drive your AP or other listening NMEA devices usually connected via a USB to NMEA adaptor in my case a Digital Yacht USB to NMEA adaptor.

I have gone through the documentation and tried every combination of settings (although I believe the one depicted is correct) and I cannot get any NMEA out of the SK APREPEAT connection.

Cheers frustratingly
Spart
You configuration looks correct to me. Could you share your settings.json. located at $HOME/.signalk for doublechecking? You can also make sure that the values for the events do not contain any extra characters like spaces in them.

People often recommend activating signalk-to-nmea0183 plugin, but the ground rule is that if you are dealing only with NMEA0183 input data you practically never need signalk-to-nmea0183 plugin, as the input data is in always in NMEA0183 format already.

As for better diagnostic tools I agree. If you have specific ideas on what to improve in Signal K server please share them at https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-serve...ssues/1077
(2020-07-06, 07:19 AM)tkurki Wrote: You configuration looks correct to me. Could you share your settings.json. located at $HOME/.signalk for doublechecking? You can also make sure that the values for the events do not contain any extra characters like spaces in them.

People often recommend activating signalk-to-nmea0183 plugin, but the ground rule is that if you are dealing only with NMEA0183 input data you practically never need signalk-to-nmea0183 plugin, as the input data is in always in NMEA0183 format already.

As for better diagnostic tools I agree. If you have specific ideas on what to improve in Signal K server please share them at https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-serve...ssues/1077

I do not understand this sentence?

"You can also make sure that the values for the events do not contain any extra characters like spaces in them."

Any values are standard NMEA0183 sentences. I have no control over how they are formatted. What are 'events' in this sentence? All connection labels are free of any spaces or odd characters. I only have AISGPS OPENCPNOUT and APREPEAT.

It will be the weekend now before I can get back to the boat to do the next round of diagnostics. But as I said I am at a loss to understand why this simple use case is not working. Do I need to use the serial app? I can't see why as SK server seems to have no issue reading the GPSAIS stream which is a 38400 serial NMEA data stream as an input.

The only data I am working with at present is NMEA data from the GPSAIS stream and the OPENCPNOUT stream from OpenCPN and of course the failing APREPEAT stream.

Cheers
Spart
You should definitely use the serial app to define your usb connections. Here you can read why: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...l_app.html
Cheers 
Pär W
Enter OPENCPNOUT into Output Events field of APREPEAT connection.

Your connection named OPENCPNOUT is emitting the incoming nmea0183 data as events named OPENCPNOUT. That is a bit confusing, as that data is coming FROM OpenCpn, not being output to OpenCpn. But then again it is output that is generated by OpenCpn....you could name it nmeaFromOpenCpn to be more clear.

So any connection that wants to output the data in events named OPENCPNOUT needs to have that event defined as Output Event.

When I said ”event” in my previous message I was referring to these event names. I believe this is the only meaning where that word is used in the user interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(2020-07-06, 01:37 PM)tkurki Wrote: Enter OPENCPNOUT into Output Events field of APREPEAT connection.

Your connection named OPENCPNOUT is emitting the incoming nmea0183 data as events named OPENCPNOUT. That is a bit confusing, as that data is coming FROM OpenCpn, not being output to OpenCpn. But then again it is output that is generated by OpenCpn....you could name it nmeaFromOpenCpn to be more clear.

So any connection that wants to output the data in events named OPENCPNOUT needs to have that event defined as Output Event.

When I said ”event” in my previous message I was referring to these event names. I believe this is the only meaning where that word is used in the user interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My connection OPENCPNOUT is not emitting anything as far as I am aware. It is receiving the output data from OpenCPN. I am then trying to use that datastream in nmea0183 to nmea0183 app (as per documentation) to filter and output the stream to my APREPEAT connection which is configured to output APREPEAT 'events' and as far as the documentation is concerned is configured correctly. nema0183 to nmea0183 app Input event OPENCPNOUT and output event APREPEAT.

My naming convention works for me and is perfectly logical. 

In English. Take the output from OpenCPN (OPENCPNOUT) and send it to the AP and Repeater (APREPEAT). 

This configuration should work but does not. No output is received by the physical devices connected to the APREPEAT serial port.

Cheers
Spart
I went through this again late last night. I cannot see anything wrong with the configuration. But noting is output on my APREPEAT connection.

Can the dev's assist please as without this working I cannot use openplotter as the heart of my planned bot network.

Cheers
Spart
Have you set up your connections in serial app?
Do you use udp 10110 as ocpn out?
If not, try that!
Pär W
(2020-07-08, 09:57 AM)Celestine Wrote: Have you set up your connections in serial app?
Do you use udp 10110 as ocpn out?
If not, try that!
Pär W

I do not use the serial app. What do I need it for? The USB connections are not moving around.

I use 10111 as the output port to separate input and output streams.

Cheers
Spart