This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can bus adapter not sending data
Hi,
I have an odd problem with my can bus adapter (Actisense NGT-1). 
When Openplotter2 is started chances are 50% that the can bus adapter start sending data. Many times I need to open SK admin and restart SK several times before data starts flowing in. I know that there is data to send as the connected n2k instruments before the Actisense performs normally.
The only error I get at start up is: 

Checking serial connections conflicts...
There are conflicts between the following serial connections:
Signal K -> connection ID: ais | device: /dev/ttyOP_ais

This is also odd as the ais input works perfect from start every time. The message doesn't tell with what the conflict is about. When, after restarting SK the can adapter is finally working the conflict message about the ais adapter is still there.
Where do I find logs that can give more details of what is going on?
Cheers,
Pär W
what the openplotter serial app says in connections tab?

it seem that 2 apps are fighting for the same USB port. Check signal k, opencpn, can app... to see if you have assigned the same port twice.
Hi
Everything looks perfectly normal, that’s what makes it so strange.
When I set the connections up I did it in the serial app and then set up SK and can from there. That’s why I ask for the location of logs to be able to troubleshoot deeper.
Cheers
Pär W
(2020-07-06, 11:49 AM)Celestine Wrote: Hi,
I have an odd problem with my can bus adapter (Actisense NGT-1). 
When Openplotter2 is started chances are 50% that the can bus adapter start sending data. Many times I need to open SK admin and restart SK several times before data starts flowing in. I know that there is data to send as the connected n2k instruments before the Actisense performs normally.
The only error I get at start up is: 

Checking serial connections conflicts...
There are conflicts between the following serial connections:
Signal K -> connection ID: ais | device: /dev/ttyOP_ais

This is also odd as the ais input works perfect from start every time. The message doesn't tell with what the conflict is about. When, after restarting SK the can adapter is finally working the conflict message about the ais adapter is still there.
Where do I find logs that can give more details of what is going on?
Cheers,
Pär W

Hi there,
Not sure how Openplotter2 works so it may be worth performing the same tests with Actisense NMEA Reader (https://www.actisense.com/acti_software/nmea-reader).  
If you're using a Mac, use the WINE - Windows Emulator in order to test with NMEA Reader.
Any other issues, let the team know at https://www.actisense.com/support
Good luck  Smile
I don’t think that the actual adapter is what causes the problems. Once you get data into SK after some restarts it’ totally solid.
I’m not sure the ais port conflict has got anything to do with the n2k adapter problem either as the ais error persists when n2k is up and running. There isn’t even an actual problem with the ais as it works all the time. It’s just that there’s an error when the system check is run.
Is there a system log for SK and where can I find it?
Cheers
Pär W
Please could you copy here your sk settings file: /home/pi/.signalk/settings.json
Hi,
Here it is!
Cheers
Pär W

{
"interfaces":{

},
"pipedProviders":[
{
"enabled":true,
"id":"ocpnout",
"pipeElements":[
{
"options":{
"logging":false,
"providerId":"ocpnout",
"subOptions":{
"baudrate":9600,
"device":"\/dev\/ttyOP_0183out",
"port":"10110",
"providerId":"ocpnout",
"sentenceEvent":"ocpnout",
"type":"udp",
"validateChecksum":false
},
"type":"NMEA0183"
},
"type":"providers\/simple"
}
]
},
{
"id":"ais",
{
"providerId":"ais",
"baudrate":38400,
"device":"\/dev\/ttyOP_ais",
"providerId":"ais",
"sentenceEvent":"ais",
"type":"serial",
"validateChecksum":true
},
},
}
]
},
{
"id":"ap",
{
"providerId":"ap",
"baudrate":4800,
"device":"\/dev\/ttyOP_ap",
"providerId":"ap",
"sentenceEvent":"",
"toStdout":[
"ap",
"nmea0183out"
],
"type":"serial",
"validateChecksum":true
},
},
}
]
},
{
"id":"n2k",
{
"providerId":"n2k",
"baudrate":115200,
"device":"\/dev\/ttyOP_n2k",
"providerId":"n2k",
"type":"ngt-1-canboatjs"
},
"type":"NMEA2000"
},
}
]
}
],
"security":{
"strategy":".\/tokensecurity"
},
"ssl":false
}
could you post an screenshot of devices and connections tabs of openplotter serial app?
Hi
I’ll try to do that tomorrow. Everything looks normal there, though.
When I started up all instruments this morning I had data from n2k right away even though the ais conflict error appeared. So I don’t’ think the two are related.
Cheers
Pär W
Hi,
Here comes screenshots of devices and connections tabs.
Cheers,
Pär W