This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinypilot with motor control with Jeffa LD100/Garmin Class A
Hi, I am about to purchase a Tinypilot & motor controller for use with linear drive on my Beneteau 343

I have some questions

1) What is the maximum current of the motor controller to the drive? (I have seen 7, 10, 15 & 20 Amp in some documentation).

Jeffa LD100 (aka Garmain Class A) linear drive specs from https://www.jefa.com/steering/products/d...linear.htm show 10 Amp at 85 kg and 12 Amp at 100kg with statement "high steering forces not manageable by hand power".
From the chart it looks like 5 Amps or less for most sensible use case.

2) I think these are motor controller extras I will need
- rudder feedback connector $5.00  (for use with the Garmin Class A drvie integrated rudder feedback)
- abs enclosure and conformal coating $15.00
- clutch output $10.00

3) Are there any RF control for Tinypilot you can recommend?
I was thinking of mounting Tinypilot at the chart table and using a remote from the cockpit so IR maybe not reliable bouncing of the walls.

As the Pi-0W supports BlueTooth maybe some of the avaialbe fob or mounted stereo remote could be used to adjust standby/engage left & right a bit.

RF contrrol to relays in parallel to the GPIO push buttons would also work. I was thinking something like
https://www.amazon.com/INSMA-Wireless-Ch...uage=en_US

Thanks
Andrew
(2020-07-08, 04:51 PM)andrewAB Wrote: Hi, I am about to purchase a Tinypilot & motor controller for use with linear drive on my Beneteau 343

I have some questions

1) What is the maximum current of the motor controller to the drive? (I have seen 7, 10, 15 & 20 Amp in some documentation).
The continuous is 7 or 8 amps for the regular controller. It can handle more in surges like stalling.
Quote:Jeffa LD100 (aka Garmain Class A) linear drive specs from https://www.jefa.com/steering/products/d...linear.htm show 10 Amp at 85 kg and 12 Amp at 100kg with statement "high steering forces not manageable by hand power".
From the chart it looks like 5 Amps or less for most sensible use case.
Yes, it might be difficult to reach 10 amps on that motor unless you are in extreme conditions or stalling.

Quote:2) I think these are motor controller extras I will need
- rudder feedback connector $5.00  (for use with the Garmin Class A drvie integrated rudder feedback)
- abs enclosure and conformal coating $15.00
- clutch output $10.00

3) Are there any RF control for Tinypilot you can recommend?
I was thinking of mounting Tinypilot at the chart table and using a remote from the cockpit so IR maybe not reliable bouncing of the walls.
The next version of the tinypilot boards supports 433mhz remotes. I am also developing wifi remotes which use micropython, but none of this is ready just yet.

You are right that IR is less reliable bouncing, and also daylight can affect it somewhat.
Quote:As the Pi-0W supports BlueTooth maybe some of the avaialbe fob or mounted stereo remote could be used to adjust standby/engage left & right a bit.

RF contrrol to relays in parallel to the GPIO push buttons would also work. I was thinking something like
https://www.amazon.com/INSMA-Wireless-Ch...uage=en_US

Thanks
Andrew
Unfortunately the bluetooth needs to be disabled so that the hardware serial port can be used for the motor controller. I haven't experimented enough to see if software serial ports can work for bluetooth, but they don't work well for the motor controller... So either the controller would have to be usb, or a usb bluetooth. For now I am making wifi remotes, and the power consumption on the esp32 is nearly the same for bluetooth or wifi if modem sleep is working.
(2020-07-12, 10:44 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: For now I am making wifi remotes, and the power consumption on the esp32 is nearly the same for bluetooth or wifi if modem sleep is working.

These WiFi remotes sound great. How do I get one of these?
BTW I have ordered the other pieces.
Thanks
Andrew
I am prototyping wifi remotes but have not managed to produce any quantity. There is some code in github for esp32 remotes.