This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenCPN Pypilot plugin 5.2 issue
On OP2 after upgrading to the newest OpenCPN 5.2.0 the previously installed pypilot plugin is removed. I've upgraded through the standard OP2 OpenCPN installer process.
Reinstalling it through the OpenCPN installer plugin in OP2 does not make it available again.
Installing from GIT does make it available again, but this installs a different version that has a different GUI somehow, and from then on it is not managed by OpenCPN installer again.
Hello jamos.tan,

I also have the same problem and the only way to fix it was to go back to Opecpn 5.0
How did you go about reinstalling the plugin from the GIT? Because I have a problem with the display of 'earnings' with the pypilot plugin from version 5.0: maybe by installing it from GIT, this problem will be solved?
cordially
(2020-07-22, 12:02 PM)kinefou Wrote: Hello jamos.tan,

I also have the same problem and the only way to fix it was to go back to Opecpn 5.0
How did you go about reinstalling the plugin from the GIT? Because I have a problem with the display of 'earnings' with the pypilot plugin from version 5.0: maybe by installing it from GIT, this problem will be solved?
cordially

I've done it by following Sean's instruction on Github, start the terminal and follow these commands:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot_pi
cd pypilot_pi
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
sudo make install

Be sure that before you start that you have the cmake programm.

Code:
sudo apt-get install cmake

Hope this will help you!
Maybe there are other GIT repositories with other Pypilot versions, if this one does not work.
Thank you very much jamos.tan,
I followed your instructions and indeed, this version of pypilot works perfectly and I will keep this plugin until an update of the repository plugin.
cordially
Great that it worked! Only thing now is... my gains are not visible now Sad

(2020-07-23, 02:30 PM)jamos.tan@gmail.com Wrote: Great that it worked! Only thing now is... my gains are not visible now Sad

Ah, never mind. This was a 0.5 issue I see. I'm now also on 0.10 and it works perfectly. I'll be on the water adjusting the gains until I get an optimal setting.
By the way, have you ever experimented with the autopilot modes: simple / learning, etc.? Curious about some opinions...
(2020-07-23, 02:30 PM)jamos.tan@gmail.com Wrote: Great that it worked! Only thing now is... my gains are not visible now Sad

Ah, never mind. This was a 0.5 issue I see. I'm now also on 0.10 and it works perfectly. I'll be on the water adjusting the gains until I get an optimal setting.
By the way, have you ever experimented with the autopilot modes: simple / learning, etc.? Curious about some opinions...

I am guessing you have no gps option now that you have upgraded to .10? Have you tried routing at all?
I do have the gps option, I will try compass, gps and an active route (built in opencpn) and with Sean's plugin again today (if the weather allows), and report back... 

I am not sure what the cause is that your gps option is totally missing, but the only time this has happened to me when pypilot, signalk, opencpn, or openplotter (not sure which of those) had no gps data. Pypilot then does not show the button. I would recommend:

- Check opencpn with nmea scanner if gps sentences are coming in
- Check opencpn connections if there are gps filters
- Check openplotter serial connection, how is this forwarding the gps data: to gpsd? directly into signalk?
- Check if pypilot in openplotter has been correctly configured (two connections to signalk / pypilot)
- Check if Signalk is seeing the gps data (in instrument panel / or data browser)

If all is OK, is suspect it's either a bug or the software has become corrupt. If I was in your position I would get an extra SD card, reflash it and start from scratch to at least see if a clean installation gives the same problems. Then it would be the option of going from there again and configuring everything all new (might take some work) or somehow try to fix it in your current image. (not sure how yet, but maybe someone else could look into the code of pypilot / opencpn)
Hi guys,

To have these options in pypilot, it is necessary to add in opencpn an incoming and outgoing TCP connection to port 20220 by filtering the frames to keep only APB if it is not already done.
Good luck
cordially
(2020-07-24, 11:18 AM)kinefou Wrote: Hi guys,

To have these options in pypilot, it is necessary to add in opencpn an incoming and outgoing TCP connection to port 20220 by filtering the frames to keep only APB if it is not already done.
Good luck
cordially

Incoming also on port 20220? I thought only outgoing to 20220, and only incoming on 10110 (signalk).
Also, the plugin has the option to forward nmea, so a connection is not needed, right?
Just curious about the incoming connection on 20220...
20220 is used by pypilot for both incoming and outgoing nmea0183. 10110 is used by signalk etc.. it is not used by pypilot at all.

The plugin is supposed to forward nmea, but I didn't actually make this work until the latest version so, better disable this feature and make the connection manually in opencpn to be sure what it is doing.