This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pwm for clutch
purchased a used octopus 1212lar12.
Will not install until spring but tested to make sure it works.

I propose pwm the clutch output after an initial full power pulse for about 100ms.
Holding the clutch at full power waists a lot of power.
It's hot enough that it could be a burn hazard and possibly damage the coil.

For this clutch these are my measurements:
coil  10 ohms
full: 12.57v 1.11a
drops out: 1.27v 0.1a Needless to say want to stay well above the drop out point.
kicks in at 6.83v 0.6a

Way back when  I  serviceed equipment with large solenoids they always had a resistor and capacitor paralleled in series with the power. That will work but pwm will save even more power.

From searching a couple additional ideas I found:
Periodically give a full pulse just in case it dropped out.

Probably should have small capacitor across output to keep down rf noise.

The inductance will rise considerably when engaged. The surge current will be much less if engaged so one can sense if the clutch is engaged by measuring the current. Interesting but probably overkill and would need setup an another analog input.

Messages In This Thread
pwm for clutch - by johnm - 2020-07-23, 03:32 PM
RE: pwm for clutch - by Styles21 - 2020-07-23, 07:54 PM
RE: pwm for clutch - by johnm - 2020-07-24, 12:25 AM
RE: pwm for clutch - by seandepagnier - 2020-07-24, 01:24 AM
RE: pwm for clutch - by johnm - 2020-07-24, 08:30 PM
RE: pwm for clutch - by Styles21 - 2020-07-24, 03:08 AM
RE: pwm for clutch - by seandepagnier - 2020-07-24, 01:22 PM