This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to access new Headless install?
Probably a basic question from a pi beginner.

I have installed a noobs headless config and checked the install boots and shows the desktop by connecting a monitor via HDMI.

Now I want to use RDP to actually use the install as I don't have a suitable keyboard or mouse.  Connected to openplotter wifi successfully on  my win10 machine but trying RDP on 10.10.10.1:5900 results in "protocol error detected at client (code 0x1104)".  This appears to be a port conflict but 5900 is not used on my desktop.  Tried disabling the firewall but this made no difference.

I had expected the headless config to allow RDP without further config.  Am I missing something.

Also, does Pi/Openplotter shutdown after a timeout interval?  My monitor loses signal after 20 minutes or so and I have to disconnect power to reboot to get it back.
asking the obvious: is your wifi connected to the openplotter 10.10.10.1 network ?
I managed to resolve this by installing VNC viewer on my laptop. Yes, the laptop was connected to the OpenPlotter wifi on the Pi (10.10.10.1) when trying RDP.

Now I see that there is a default timeout and I've been able to change that.

Have not had time to experiment much since my initial experiments but will get back to it and look at RDP next week.
(2020-08-03, 05:43 PM)ningaloo Wrote: I managed to resolve this by installing VNC viewer on my laptop.  Yes, the laptop was connected to the OpenPlotter wifi on the Pi (10.10.10.1) when trying RDP.

Now I see that there is a default timeout and I've been able to change that.

Have not had time to experiment much since my initial experiments but will get back to it and look at RDP next week.

I don't know if I got it right, but You have to install the RDP server, on the RPi, with 

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y && sudo apt clean
sudo apt-get install xrdp

https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/2017/1...p-vnc.html

Blog; https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/
Are there any benefits to using xrdp instead of realvnc? I've never had a problem with realvnc as a chrome extension, works over the web as well.
(2020-08-04, 09:28 AM)PaddyB Wrote: Are there any benefits to using xrdp instead of realvnc? I've never had a problem with realvnc as a chrome extension, works over the web as well.

... maybe it's more personal preferences ......

Blog; https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/