This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how do I get my gps working?
I've just receive a HAT with GPS and can-bus interface (https://copperhilltech.com/pican-with-gp...pberry-pi/ for the ones interested).  I'm trying to get the GPS working and cannot understand how to get it setup.  

So far, I've tried pretty much all the options in signal K.  The most successful I've been is : 

In Serial, configure the only entry I see (/dev/ttyAMA0) with the alias gpshat and the data as nmea0183.  Then in connection, add it to gpsd

Then open signal K, and add a new connection with:
add new connection
- Input == nmea0183
- enable == yes
- id == gpshat
- nmea 0183 source == GPSD
- host == localhost
- port == 2947
- output event == [blank]
- sentence event == [blank]
- validate checksum == true

When restarting signal K, i get in the dashbaord:
ID : gpshat       Last Error [empty]     Status: connected to localhost:2947

But if I go in the data browser, I get nothing.  OpenCPN doesn't have a fix either.  Did I miss something?!

I should add: I'm on a fresh install of openplotter, ran all the updates and on signalk Server 1.32.0, RPI 4b (4gb)
Test in the Terminal for gpsd is running and connected:

gpsmon

it should show some gps data. if not check the baudrate or your hardware-hat.

signal k gets the data from gpsd, so this is the second step to check if the first works.
(2020-07-28, 07:27 AM)holgerw Wrote: Test in the Terminal for gpsd is running and connected:

gpsmon

it should show some gps data. if not check the baudrate or your hardware-hat.

signal k gets the data from gpsd, so this is the second step to check if the first works.

gpsmon never seem to fully load, I only get this :

tcp://localhost:2947          JSON slave driver>
(82) {"class":"VERSION","release":"3.17","rev":"3.17","proto_major":3,"proto_minor":12}
(32) {"class":"DEVICES","devices":[]}
(122) {"class":"WATCH","enable":true,"json":false,"nmea":false,"raw":2,"scaled":false,"timing":false,"split24":false,"pp
s":true}

From the spec, the hat is outputting 9600baudrate.  I've just booted a vanilla instance of Raspian and I get the gps data.  So there's something on the OP config somewhere...
You have to Connect your hat in serial to gpsd First!
(2020-07-28, 08:25 AM)holgerw Wrote: You have to Connect your hat in serial to gpsd First!

well I did.  I created an alias, then added it to GPSD.   I couldn't select the baudrate, it doesn't let me, so I hit auto...  Or you're talking of something else??