This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Openplotter 2 Weatherfax Plugin for OpenCPN
Thanks PaddyB,

Ok, if I understand right the recording itself must be done externally, not by the plugin itself. I have some experience with that, downloading satellite images directly from passes of NOAA and METEOR. A few scripts handle recording with sox, planning of sat passes with predict, and a script to convert it to images with wxtoimg (with some false overlay colors, landmarks, etc.) This operates in the 137 mhz range, and a sawfilter will improve the results. It is all automated, which is nice, but you need a QFH omni-directional antenna.

Is it possible to use the schedule of the weatherfax plugin, but modify the code so the actual recording will be done by sox?
Node-red is a nice idea, if this will work will be great too... but I am not sure how this will look like.

Currently I have a few dongles from Nooelec. I don't have an upconverter yet, and I need to look into the documentation if they can handle the frequencies. I have tested it with SDRsharp or GPQRX, and it did work when manually recording it, and to decode it with the linux programm "hamfax" resulted in the images.

An automated method would be very much preferred. I can share the previously mentioned scripts if you like.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Openplotter 2 Weatherfax Plugin for OpenCPN - by jamos.tan@gmail.com - 2020-07-29, 12:16 PM