This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preventing corrupt SD
I've been using a UPS for some time to prevent a corrupt (S)SD, which can happen on raspberry pi's or linux system in general for that matter. 
When I flip a switch the UPS sees it and sends a command to a GPIO to safely shutdown the system, after 2 minutes or so the UPS is also powered down.
But, this is quite an extensive thing to build and I'd rather not have a battery in my system, because these things can fail too. 

I know there are methods to write protect (read-only) certain partitions of the SD so that when a write takes place when the system is not safely shutdown, nothing will be damaged.

In this forum: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu...d-so-often
I have read some of these solutions, but, looking at Openplotter I am not sure as to this is a good idea. Not being able to write to a partition could lead to other problems and I think there are more background processes that I don't know of that need to write. 

Has anybody ever tried this on a Pi, or on his Openplotter image before? Has anybody every had a corrupt SD? Speaking for myself, I had a few of these situations myself. SD got too hot, or before I used a UPS did unsafe shutdowns, or even if you have a UPS your system can still freeze and you have to shutdown unsafely.

So, I was wondering if we could tackle this problem by looking if it's possible what partitions should / could be write protected, looking at Openplotter.
Curious to your experiences.
why not just switch to ssd?
I had to carry spare SD cards till I made the switch, never once did I have the problem with an SSD drive and Rp3 and 4 both boot from usb now.
Wasn't SSD also prone to the same corruption problems? I'll definitely try nevertheless.
Do you do an unsafe shutdown always or sometimes?
(2020-08-02, 07:21 PM)jamos.tan@gmail.com Wrote: Wasn't SSD also prone to the same corruption problems? I'll definitely try nevertheless.
Do you do an unsafe shutdown always or sometimes?

Quite often I forget to shutdown it down and just turn off the main power.  I’ve never had any issues with it.  In fact when I’m starting my main engine it will sometimes cause a voltage shortage to the point it loses power. No problems yet.
(2020-08-02, 03:51 PM)rastam4n Wrote: why not just switch to ssd?
I had to carry spare SD cards till I made the switch, never once did I have the problem with an SSD drive and Rp3 and 4 both boot from usb now.

Assuming you are using a RPi 4 :  Have you got the official USB3 boot update working already? I tried last week, but didn't get it working by a long shot Sad
(2020-08-03, 02:00 PM)fishy Wrote:

Assuming you are using a RPi 4 :  Have you got the official USB3 boot update working already? I tried last week, but didn't get it working by a long shot Sad

Yep it works great.   Just use the card copier accessory  to put the card image onto the ssd.  And reboot without the card installed.  It should find the ssd and boot from it.
(2020-08-03, 02:10 PM)rastam4n Wrote:

Yep it works great.   Just use the card copier accessory  to put the card image onto the ssd.  And reboot without the card installed.  It should find the ssd and boot from it.

Nice! What hardware do you have, an ssd in an enclosure that just goes into the usb? Or some kind of converter cable? And, how is your SSD powered? By the Pi's USB's or by an external hub?

Asking this because I have 2 rtl-sdr dongles, one powered usb hub, and one slot is still open. 

Based on your specifications I'll order my set and try it...
(2020-08-04, 08:50 AM)jamos.tan@gmail.com Wrote:
(2020-08-03, 02:10 PM)rastam4n Wrote:

Nice! What hardware do you have, an ssd in an enclosure that just goes into the usb? Or some kind of converter cable? And, how is your SSD powered? By the Pi's USB's or by an external hub?

Asking this because I have 2 rtl-sdr dongles, one powered usb hub, and one slot is still open. 

Based on your specifications I'll order my set and try it...

I use an older version of this one... not sure why they have discontinued the one I have is an X855 for RPi4b.
https://geekworm.com/collections/nas-sto...pi-4b-only
and I use a this hat for cooling... my Moitessier hat (imu) is mounted a safe distance away using jumpers.
https://geekworm.com/products/raspberry-...8afa&_ss=r

They reason I use that hat is to allow me to have multiple options for sending power directly into the GPIO pins and it has a jumper to power the msata USB card
(2020-08-04, 12:55 PM)rastam4n Wrote: I use an older version of this one... not sure why they have discontinued the one I have is an X855 for RPi4b.
https://geekworm.com/collections/nas-sto...pi-4b-only
and I use a this hat for cooling... my Moitessier hat (imu) is mounted a safe distance away using jumpers.
https://geekworm.com/products/raspberry-...8afa&_ss=r

They reason I use that hat is to allow me to have multiple options for sending power directly into the GPIO pins and it has a jumper to power the msata USB card

Thanks for the details- that's a ninteresting setup. Shame it doesn't take 12V in..

Did I understand you use these in combination with a Moitessier? That's even better! Any idea what your power consumption is, with this setup? (I currently draw about 0.7 A including a 7"screen, an Argon1 casing, the Moitessier and an SSD on a USB3 adapter)
Do you also use the case of geekworm? If so, how does your IMU perform within the metal casing?

God, now I wanna buy everything from geekworm Sad