This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SeaTalk 1 to NMEA0183/2000 with Raspberry Pi
(2020-09-03, 09:02 PM)Nikotine Wrote: Thanks for creating this.

Would it in the future be possible to do the reverse, convert signalk to seatalk?
An example of sending seatalk with an Arduino is here: https://blog.arribasail.com/2015/08/seat...duino.html
I'm just not smart enough to convert this to js or python, let alone implement this in signalk...
This way pypilot could talk to a seatalk autohelm ST2000+ (old version without NMEA).

Hi Nikotine,

Yes, but not exactly. I've developed a simple flow in Nodered based in marcoberman remote Python code to send the seatalk1 datagrams emmited by the signalk-remote app through one of the RPi GPIO pins using the Thomas Knauf bidirectional hardware plus a level adapter.

It´s working fine with my ST2000+ but as for Pypilot to directly steer it, I´ve looked into that and I think it's not posible because ST2000 is not desinged to be controled by a control unit (ACU, as other more expensive models do) and doesn´t have the logic to it. 
In spite of that I've been working in emulating the seatalk1 output of a ST40 Course Computer to be able to send the magnetic heading obtained by Pypilot from a MPU sensor to the ST2000. I'm not sure if it will be of any use because as stated in the Raym. official forum the data is only used for long term heading corrections but for short term it still uses the internal fluxgate. I think it´s only useful when the outboard or some other device on the cockpit produce variations on the internal fluxgate.

I can publish the details of my flow in the next few days if you're intrested.

Cari20

Messages In This Thread
RE: SeaTalk 1 to NMEA0183/2000 with Raspberry Pi - by Cari20 - 2020-09-03, 09:51 PM