This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
From-scratch build for wheel steering (hardware)
Hi Sean,

By design, the motor looks relatively tight: the output pinion goes through an O-ring, the frame is one-piece, the wires are entered through a rubber seal. For the finish, I want to apply an epoxy paint to protect it.
For the clutch / release system, as you can see from the attached documents, we were inspired by the original system (Autohelm 4000). The orange screwdriver serves as the pivot axis and the small piece of wood puts it in tension (these are only preliminary tests for the test!) cf vidéo on
This remains to be improved to allow better transmission. We tested in real conditions in beautiful sea and moderate wind and it seems to be going well: thank you again for the great job you have done and I am still waiting for the equipment I ordered from you, for more safety and to support you in your informed research!
" Video not available. The author has restricted access to the video."
The Video on Mega:

2 images at:

Some more pics and videos of our Pypilot mounting (inspired of Ted Coats one, with a Renault Clio steering motor) tested during 3days in open sea, wind mode, with sometimes ''rudder demanding conditions''. Everything went perfectly.

In easy rudder conditions, the motor is drawing around 3.5amps when working (the upwind vid is considered easy rudder conditions, and most of the crosswind vid too as the motor have a lot of torque). Almost blocked rudder increase the consumption to 6.5amps. Our boat is 13meters/10tons polyester, hydraulic transmission (not oversized).

You can see the very low gains used for this nav, motor speed is 50% (but it looks like 100% doesn't really change the power consumption, furthemore it is more silent ?). I didn't really tries yet more complicated gains settings, but it's already very satisfying.

Ted Coats transmission looks much better then ours but it was convenient to keep the existing autohelm ring, also to keep the autohelm pilot usable in spare. The used belt (autohelm compatible) is a 5.08mm pitch while the returned glued segments of belt are 5mm pitch, to keep the two aligned in the curve. Maybe still need some improvements for harder conditions. I think the little piece of wood used to engage, disengage has good days behind of it !

Great thanks and Bravo again Sean, and participating developpers, for this superb opensource pilot !

Forum Jump:

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)