This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I was struck by lightning
Well, not me, but my OpenPlotter project.  Our power pole got hit.  It came through the cable, through my cable modem and router, and into my OpenPlotter, and out my UHF antenna.  I count myself fortunate because the only thing that burnt out was my Glomex VHV / AIS Antenna splitter.  I opened it up and it looks like only one component is burnt and I believe it is a capacitor (L2).  Now that I can see it better, in my photo, D4 and D5 look suspect.  Identifying these is out of my expertise, but I believe I can fix this if someone will help me identify them and tell me where I can get a new ones.  Also, I could be wrong.  Let me know if you see anything else.

If I can, I'll desolder the board to inspect the components on the underside of the board.  I already ordered a replacement since the price has come way down.  The new one was only $28, but I'd like the experience of fixing this one and it would be nice to have a backup too.

[Image: Glomex-RA201.jpg]

[Image: Glomex-Component.jpg]
Glad you are okay. I have one of these splitters and I thought it caused a lot of distortion on my VHF radio. Do you have any problems like that? I would love to add this back in and have an actual AM/FM and AIS antenna again!.
Phew! I'd hate to be on board when that happens!

I once worked at a site that was hit by lightning- identifying the bits that were burnt out completely was not the problem- but for weeks we've been hunting down 'ghosts'- parts of the network / antennas / routers that were not completely dead, but damaged enough to cause problems. I think it would have been better if these had also fried completely, because the this intermittent problem is much harder to find...
i would change it completely.
The main use ist to isolate the high 1 or 5 Watt Transmitter Power from your
sensitive FM and AIS Receiver Inputs.
Yon can´t check this safely without risking these Devices.

So better buy another. Or an little extra AIS Antenna

ym2c
Holger
The L2 label suggests to me that the burnt component is an inductor, not a capacitor.
Bill
10-4.Thanks for all the replies. For some reason, when I created this thread, I wasn't subscribed to it and was wondering why nobody responded.

As far as distortion... I've not really experienced any, but Im using a 20 year old $20 VHF, so I can't Really say.

I've already purchased a replacement. I agree, for $28 part, not really worth the risk, but as it looks repairable, I wanted to try. And you are right again, when repaired, I have no way to test it other than hook it back up.
I've already purchased a replacement. I agree, for  $28 part, not really worth the risk, but as it looks repairable, I wanted to try. And you are right again, when repaired, I have no way to test it other than hook it back up.

Hello Jamier

Wise decision, this is not worth risking the sensitive receivers.

good Luck and many Greetings
Holger