This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to safely shut down the TinyPilot, Rudder feedback, and compass calibration
How can I safely shut down the TinyPilot computer? Is it ok to just cut off the power?
yes, it should be ok to cut the power. tinypilot runs completely from ram once booted, and the only writes to the sdcard are the config file which is fairly small, and if this file is corrupted somehow, a backup is loaded
OK. Thank you!

Now I had new problem. Rudder feedback doesn't work. Motor controller is DIY version and from rudder sensor comes 1-4 volt to arduino A4 port.

Photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/X7xbhbvWP5ctpjUz5

Edit: Do I need to edit the motor.ino code some how?
the default reference voltage is usually 0-1.1 volts. There is ratiometric mode that uses 0-5 so you have to decide which you are using.
(2020-08-19, 06:08 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: the default reference voltage is usually 0-1.1 volts.   There is ratiometric mode that uses 0-5 so you have to decide which you are using.

Did I burn my arduino ADC A4 port? The input voltage has been much higher than reference voltage.

Afterwards i tried connect D4 and D5 to GND but no luck. 

Edit: Btw: I don't have motor current sensor/shunt. Only adc measurement which I use is rudder feedback.
there is no damage to apply a voltage up to vcc (5 volts), but it will just exceed the adc range and this will disable rudder feedback. values near ground do the same thing.

Can you apply a voltage of 0.5 volts? This should give an approximate 0 rudder angle. I am not sure why grounding d4 and d5 didn't work.
(2020-08-22, 02:30 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: there is no damage to apply a voltage up to vcc (5 volts), but it will just exceed the adc range and this will disable rudder feedback.   values near ground do the same thing.

Can you apply a voltage of 0.5 volts?   This should give an approximate 0 rudder angle.   I am not sure why grounding d4 and d5 didn't work.

Thank you for explanatory information!

Sorry I made a mistake wire connection  Blush  I accidentally connected D3 and D4 to ground. I fixed the connections and the rudder feedback is working now.

Next, the compass should be calibrated. Steering the boat with the buttons works now, but the compass does not work properly.

I'll take a video if I get the pilot to work Smile
https://pypilot.org/wiki/doku.php?id=calibration

It sayed that a 3D plot should appear on the screen when doing calibration: "If using openplotter, you can see this along with the 3D plot in the pypilot_calibration program"

I don't see any 3D plot. Only text on top of text which cannot be read.

My openCPN is installed to Windows 10 laptop. Pypilot plugin is installed to openCPN. Do I need any additional software?
the plot is only available as a python script outside of opencpn.
(2020-08-25, 03:46 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: the plot is only available as a python script outside of opencpn.

Is it possible to use in Windows 10 (x64)?

1. - I got calibrated the accelerometers. Calibration age reset when it done?

2. - But compass calibration failed. I cruise a few miles and I steering around in 360 circles. See pictures from the link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eagqokirZDc4thH8A