This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moitessier Pitch, Heel, Compass, Temp data Freezes on Cold Restart
Exclamation 
I have Pi 4, Moitessier HAT with MCS.  I've noticed that when I boot my OP from a cold start, I usually, and by usually I mean as often as I can remember, I have to reboot to get pitch, heel, compass, temp, and pressure data to show up in OpenCPN.

Any ideas why this happens?  Is this common? Is there a setting that I can change besides 'Delay' in settings, which i currently have set to 3 seconds, remedy this?
(2020-08-22, 08:52 PM)jamieFL Wrote: I have Pi 4, Moitessier HAT with MCS.  I've noticed that when I boot my OP from a cold start, I usually, and by usually I mean as often as I can remember, I have to reboot to get pitch, heel, compass, temp, and pressure data to show up in OpenCPN.

Any ideas why this happens?  Is this common? Is there a setting that I can change besides 'Delay' in settings, which i currently have set to 3 seconds, remedy this?

I have the same problems with temperature and pressure, see here:

https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=2506

So far, nothing has happened in this matter...
openplotter-i2c v2.1.2 should fix this, could you check your version please?
I think that I am having a similar problem with the I2C disconnects. I have a BME280 and an MPU9150 on a board. The work fine and I am getting readings from them to begin with but they both disconnect after after a few minutes. When I look at the system log I get the following error hundreds of times. 

Oct 28 12:34:57 Chillin openplotter-i2c-read[406]: BME280 reading failed: [Errno 121] Remote I/O error

If I try to reboot it will not connect and I get the following error in the system log.

Oct 28 12:45:25 Chillin kernel: [  302.367432] i2c-bcm2835 fe804000.i2c: i2c transfer timed out.

It will not reconnect the two I2C's until I shutdown and physically remove the power cable. I am using version 2.1.2 of the I2C app. I also have a couple 1-Wire temp sensors on the board and they still work so I don't think that it is a problem with the board itself.
That sounds like a hardware problem or broken I2C driver. Try the new version (2.2.0) and report here: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3055

Next time you get that error open a terminal and type i2cdetect. From my experience if your faulty sensors addresses are not detected you have a hardware problem. You should see all the detected addresses in 1 second, if it takes longer you have a broken I2C driver.