This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OP custom network settings
Since OP went modular with the applications, I've been having trouble setting up a custom network as dhcpcd is locked from the Pi GUI network config.

Current Network topology:

Device: Ubiquiti long range, connects to marina WiFi
WAN: wlan, DHCP/full auto (as a standard client to the marinas WiFi)
LAN: Static 192.168.5.1 this feeds local router via eathernet

Device: dlink wrt54g flashed DDWRT local WiFi/LAN
WAN: Static 192.168.5.2. WAN port connected to Ubiquiti via eathernet
Local LAN/WiFi gateway IP: Static 10.10.10.1
DHCP for local access via lan and WiFi: 10.10.10.5 - 10.10.10.100 (10.2 - 10.5 reserved for static clients)

This arrangement has worked well for years... But now it's more difficult to arrange custom network settings.

Desired settings for Openplotter raspberry pi either wlan, lan0 or both (as redundant option)
IP: Static 10.10.10.2 (This is so I have a static address for all devices looking for SignalK/NMEA data)
Gateway: 10.10.10.1 (dlink router)

Another option I am open to is skipping the local DLINK router and use the RPi as router. I've done this before on old versions of OpenPlotter but again, OP is not currently setup easily for internet sharing from LAN0, only from a USB device. I do question the Rpi throughput ability while also processing all the SignalK/NMEA data which is why I opted for a separate router for the ships clients. Topology would look like:

Marina WiFi > Long Range Ubiquiti (static ip for config access, 192.168.5.1) > Rpi LAN port (static IP for config access192.168.5.2) > wlan as access point/gateway (At 10.10.10.1)

If anyone could advise on how to config either of these setups that would be amazing. I understand it likely has to do with dhcpd.conf, wpa_supplicant.conf, interfaces.d, systemctl, isc-dhcp-server. But I've had OP-network overwrite these at times and cause a huge mess, which for me requires a full reinstall of the OP img.

Cheers, Denham.