This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new opencpn and pypilot plugin
(2020-09-03, 11:17 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: there are a few changes to git, and also the nmea processing is still broken and I haven't managed to push the fix yet..  I did fix it though.

Hi, sorry but I am getting confused with what versions of plugin & opencpn to use together. My understanding is that at the moment only opencpn 5.0.0 and plugin 0.9 can work with the current version of tinypilot, am I right?
I believe so. Sorry for the trouble.

I am working to offer both versions of the pypilot plugin to install from within opencpn to make things easier in the future.
(2020-09-09, 08:21 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I believe so.   Sorry for the trouble.

I am working to offer both versions of the pypilot plugin to install from within opencpn to make things easier in the future.

No worries, thanks for everything you do!
FYI tried to downgrade to Opencpn 5.0.0 + plugin 0.9 and I experienced the same connectivity issues:
  • For some reason the plugin could not find Tinypilot right away, but after a little while they eventually synced.
  • Then, once connected, every time I try to open the calibration page, it opens the calibration windows with everything blank, freezes a few seconds and finally opencpn crashes completely 
  • I tried again with the gains, it stayed blank but did not crash.
I wanted to record all this but my laptop ran out of battery ...
Hi I was routed by Sailoog here with question about freezing autopilot route plugin.
Unfortunately I did not find anything useful to help m problem.

Autopilot route plugin.
It works, but dead freeze Showing dialog with all dashes instead if values in openCPN 5.2 in 80% of attempts to start.

And most interesting if it starts ones, it is working fine.
Little more information here:
https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=2921

I am looking to find to find that is different and what makes start it successfuly. 
Any ideas where to look for a problem?
Do I need to downgrade openCPN?
I am not sure why it crashes for you but I am gradually improving the plugins... I added the 3d calibration plots to the pypilot plugin!

I will try out the route plugin soon.
(2020-09-03, 11:17 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: there are a few changes to git, and also the nmea processing is still broken and I haven't managed to push the fix yet..  I did fix it though.

Looks like you have been busy updating git, based on the dates of changes? Have you pushed the nmea processing fix yet?

I would love the test the new versions, but I need to be able to revert to a  working backup if things don't work correctly while I am out on the water.
I don't use an SD card I wonder what an easy solution for this would be without having to swap SSD cards out... I was thinking maybe a dual boot setup... is that possible on rpi?
I have fixed the nmea processing today. It's been really difficult because the serial drivers in the kernel have some bugs which actually crashes linux in some cases. I'm trying to work around this and a few other strange issues so it's delicate.

I suggest you just use a second sd card, this is by far the simplest. tinypilot is not set up for dual boot and I doubt it will ever be supported. With openplotter it should be possible but a lot of work.
Hi Sean,

I have installed the Pypilot 0.22.5.0 plugin with OpenCPN 5.2.0+4d956e1 (windows10).
I can no longer find any pypilot file in the Opencpn program directory as well as in the OpenCpn plugin directory.
I wonder if that's not why the plugin no longer works. Looks like there is only the graphical part of the plugin left. I can't find the dll anymore.
The plugin worked however before the upgrades even if it created an OpenCpn crash when we wanted to calibrate the pypilot. Unfortunately, the OpenCpn web site no longer allows downloading version 5.0.
I understood that there is a lot of work on the plugin but installing with OpenCpn 5.2.0 looks really weird.
the plugin 0.22 goes along with pypilot 0.22 otherwise it won't connect.

I didn't realize opencpn 5.0 was gone... are you really sure? Normally older releases are still available.
Hi Sean,

Unless I am mistaken, I have version 0.12 of pypilot by consulting info in the pypilot menu (image tinypilot_21122019.img.xz).
Opencpn 5.2 only offers the installation of the Pypilot 0.22 plugin.
I found on the OpenCpn website the Pypilot 0.9 plugin for Windows that I installed after removing the 0.22 plugin, but it imperfectly connects to pypilot and crashes OpenCpn when we click on calibration.
Where can I find the version of the pypilot plugin for the pypilot version 0.12?
Thanks a lot for your help