This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPI/OpenPlotter running on SDD HD without SD
(2020-10-03, 04:17 PM)paul42 Wrote: Did the update & now booting from an SSD. All seems OK but the Ocpn chart re-draw doesn't seem much faster.

SD was  a 64GB SanDisk Extreme, SSD is a SanDisk 240GB Plus & using the recommended Eluteng adapter to the Rpi4 4GB.

How's it working for anyone else?

Did you upgrade to the latest kernel version ? version 5.4.69 (sudo rpi-update) and are you running the 64 bits version ? Then you get a quick respons.

Bram
(2020-10-03, 06:15 PM)verkerkbr Wrote:
(2020-10-03, 04:17 PM)paul42 Wrote: Did the update & now booting from an SSD. All seems OK but the Ocpn chart re-draw doesn't seem much faster.

SD was  a 64GB SanDisk Extreme, SSD is a SanDisk 240GB Plus & using the recommended Eluteng adapter to the Rpi4 4GB.

Did you upgrade to the latest kernel version ? version 5.4.69 (sudo rpi-update) and are you running the 64 bits version ? Then you get a quick respons.

Bram

Yes to 5.4 but no to 64 bits. Will have a look at that thanks

Paul
(2020-10-03, 06:20 PM)paul42 Wrote:

Bram

Paul
Same for me : rpi-update, RaspiOS 32b. 64 bit is still a beta version, advancing quickly...So I guess I will not wait very long ...

I am using a mSATA SSD 120 GB Kingspec, in an USB3.0 aluminium box, that kind ;
I Agree it is not much faster than a fast SD (extreme, U3 etc.)
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

(2020-10-03, 07:45 PM)Didier B Wrote:

Bram

Paul
Same for me : rpi-update, RaspiOS 32b. 64 bit is still a beta version, advancing quickly...So I guess I will not wait very long ...

The Sata version is much slower then the PCIe NVMe version. Running here very fast.

Bram
(2020-10-03, 07:58 PM)verkerkbr Wrote:

Bram

Paul

The Sata version is much slower then the PCIe NVMe version. Running here very fast.

Bram

Forgot to say mine is SATA. Will try a PCIe NVMe & see how that goes.
(2020-10-03, 09:00 PM)paul42 Wrote:
(2020-10-03, 06:15 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: Did you upgrade to the latest kernel version ? version 5.4.69 (sudo rpi-update) and are you running the 64 bits version ? Then you get a quick respons.

Bram

Paul

Bram

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvfIeTieXOI
(2020-10-03, 09:28 PM)verkerkbr Wrote:
(2020-10-03, 09:00 PM)paul42 Wrote:
(2020-10-03, 06:20 PM)paul42 Wrote: Yes to 5.4 but no to 64 bits. Will have a look at that thanks

Paul

Bram

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvfIeTieXOI

The SSD works very well. However, but if I connect the GPSmouse, the dongle for the keyboard, the SSD direct on the RPI it does not work. To much power users on the RPI usb.

You need an activ hub for the SDD. Beter of course a USB3 hub. The other Items can use the RPi for power.

Bram
Hi,
I see you guys comparing SATA SSD with NVMe SSd, and I am a little lost. Whatever SSD you use, it is connected to the Pi by USB 3, so the speed is restricted to that of USB 3, no? I am asking because I am about to set up my Pi 4B with a SSD, and wondering whether to get SATA or NVMe.

Lee
Both work very well. The PCIe NVMe is a recent development. The Sata version is in use for some time in tablets, notebooks etc. After dropping the system on the floor the housing is mostly cracked, but the SSD is still in a good condition. The limit of both is of course the max transfer speed for the USB3.1. Although the PCIe is capable for a much faster working speed..

There is not so much price difference. The PCIe NVM is already available with 128 GB for around € 19,- (Ali Expres).

On the RPI Pi 4 you must install the latest Eeprom and setting boot from a usb in the raspi-config

I'am waiting for some time of the CM4 system where the IO board has a PCIe slot. Then I can test the PCIe with its real speed.

The latest Argon housing with the M2 case has an addtional board with a slot for a sata SSD. it also shows full HDMi slots.

It works very well and fast.

And with SD copy application you can copy your SD to SSD or the other way around. If there is a problem you can simply switch to another storage device.

Bram
Thanks Bram,
I have decided on a SATA SSD coupled to my Pi 4B by a GeekWorm Sata SSD shield. I have decided to go that way because the GeekWorm shield provides an additional 4 USB 3.1 slots, thus saving me an external USB hub ( I have had troubles with USB hubs with the 4B, some don't work properly).

The arrangement of 4B+SSD+extra USB slots will be powered by a GeekWorm power supply running direct from my yacht's 12V supply. Hopefully it will work. 

As regards the CM4, will it boot from the PCIe slot? I am unsure on that.

Lee