This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What response times I should expect
Newbie question (first post here)
I just put together all the components for a chartplotter (This is pretty cool!)
RPi 4B w/8gb ram
32 gb Micro that passes the speed tests

According to "top" Xorg and opencpn are consuming about 30-50% cpu each.  Everything on the system is speedy and smooth except redrawing the chart 

I downloaded the Full and High resolution GSHHG chart (I probably should delete the Full res chart, but how?

I have installed the dAISy hat and a GPS dongle but it was this slow prior to doing that.

Maybe this is normal but it takes 
4 seconds to zoom in or out
2 seconds to draw a Measurement line (Tools -> Measure Distance)
Dedicate more memory to video. With 8G you could probably go with 500Mb and have no problems at all. I have a 4G RPI and use 384Mb, and my scrolling is smooth.
(2020-08-13, 02:49 PM)abarrow Wrote: Dedicate more memory to video. With 8G you could probably go with 500Mb and have no problems at all. I have a 4G RPI and use 384Mb, and my scrolling is smooth.

I set the gpu memory to 512 and it helped a little (3 seconds from 4) but it's still challengingly slow. I wonder if there are other config options, like Overlay, are not set optimally. Note that the Measurement lines are great. So that was an improvement!
Is accelerated graphics(open gl) turned on in display|advanced in opencpn settings? And turned on in the Pi settings?

cat /boot/config.txt | grep dtoverlay=

Should be 'dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d' in there.
I tried the dtoverlay addition in the config, rebooted and that didn't help (I think)

I went into openCPN and played with just about every setting I could find (I know, terrible idea) and it's now working as expected with smooth scrolling. I'm upset with myself for not keeping track of what I changed, so the next person would know. But there was some magic setting within OpenCPN that allowed for smooth sailing, I mean scrolling.

Thanks for the other settings as I'm sure they helped too.
Hello all - I'm another newbie with the same problem.
RPi 4B, 4GB, Moitessier HAT.
Pan and zoom painfully slow with oeSENC vector charts.
I've set the GPU memory to 512, which, as the OP said, helped a bit.
I've turned on Open GL in the openCPN settings, but not sure if I also need to turn it on in the PI settings.
If I do, maybe someone could let me know how to do it.
I'm wondering about the dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d setting. Is this not for 3D graphics?
All help gratefully received...
Unfortunately I did something I know better than to do. I was so frustrated that I went through and changed a bunch of stuff at once and I don't remember exactly what I changed. One thing I did was (I think I successfully did this) to switch from the HUGE/Very detailed coastal chart to the High res (one step less detailed). I can send you my config files if you want... PM me with an email address and I'll send them back. It might be a day or two.
(2020-08-27, 04:39 PM)DeeB Wrote: Unfortunately I did something I know better than to do.  I was so frustrated that I went through and changed a bunch of stuff at once and I don't remember exactly what I changed.  One thing I did was (I think I successfully did this) to switch from the HUGE/Very detailed coastal chart to the High res (one step less detailed).  I can send you my config files if you want... PM me with an email address and I'll send them back.  It might be a day or two.

Hi Deeb - thanks for your reply.
Like you, I have resorted to the time-honoured "f*ck about with everything till it works" approach.
My original installation was from the NOOBS package.
I re-installed everything using the img file, and for some reason, this seems to work better.
I'm not sure why this would be.
Pan and zoom performance is now acceptable.
(2020-08-27, 03:42 PM)paulg Wrote: Hello all - I'm another newbie with the same problem.
RPi 4B, 4GB, Moitessier HAT.
Pan and zoom painfully slow with oeSENC vector charts.
I've set the GPU memory to 512, which, as the OP said, helped a bit.
I've turned on Open GL in the openCPN settings, but not sure if I also need to turn it on in the PI settings.
If I do, maybe someone could let me know how to do it.
I'm wondering about the dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d setting. Is this not for 3D graphics?
All help gratefully received...

I am in exactly the same position with the same setup and GPU settings. And I have turned on OpenGL in the RPI. It would be an enormous help to not-especially-technically-minded enthusiasts like me to understand exactly how to configure all of this to achieve acceptably fast/smooth scrolling and panning. Surely the RPi4B/4GB is capable of more than 5-6 seconds of response time to respond to a single change in zoom level on a chart? If the answer is in OpenCPN, would someone be willing to share their settings?
@ohnitsky I did a fresh install and took notes this time.  I believe what fixed the speed issue was in OpenPlotter -> options -> Display -> Advanced I turned on Use Accelerated Graphics (OpenGL).  I believe I left all the OpenGL options alone, but just incase:
I have checked:
Polygon smoothing
Line Smoothing
Software OpenGL

I would be interested in knowing if that fixed your speed issue