This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Real VNC Server resolution different than system
OP 2.0, OpenCPN 5.2.0, Raspberry Pi 3B+
When configuring the system with a monitor attached via HDMI the resolution is great.  The Desktop fills the screen and you can see both panels of OpenCPN.  When using VNC, however, the resolution looks like VGA and I can only see one of the OpenCPN panels.  Due to the zoomed in nature of the screen, I can't navigate to the top menu or move past the view-able area by panning.  

I've spent some time looking at the VNC documentation but it basically says that the screen is repeated to the client.  Changing resolution happens on the server side.  Yet... I am receiving a screen at a resolution which is different than the server.
Just a wild guess: are you running VNC server in virtual desktop mode?
If so, try connecting to VNC server at 10.10.10.1:0 - this should mirror the main session exactly as shown on your HDMI display.
Michael

addition:
did you define a fixed screen resolution? If it is left to default (auto), there is no way for VNC server to know the appropriate resolution, unless you turned on your monitor - which is not exactly something you'd like to do in a headless system
I didn't define a fixed screen resolution. Can you tell me where to set that?
Raspi-config, VNC server or VNC client?

Sometimes finding the location of these settings is the hardest part.

Thanks
Are you running the HDMI through some type of HDMI switch? I had a similar experience and that was my problem.

Also try a different HDMI cord.
When I am cabled to the Pi it all looks fine. It is when I use VNC for access that I experience the problem.
VNC opens the desktop at a much lower resolution than the desktop really is.
If the desktop is at 1024 x 768, VNC sees a 640x480 slice of it.

It isn't like I am viewing a window of the desktop where I can pan around, I am stuck in the middle with my slice of the view and can't move up to the top, for instance, to activate a menu item because I can't pan the view and the icons are out of reach above my view.
Yes, Same problem I was having. Try unplugging HDMI and then connect by VNC and see if you can change resolution
In Raspberry 4 you can do this using "Preferences - Screen configuration" menu but in raspberry 3 you have to edit manually the file /boot/config.txt

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio...t/video.md

Moving this thread from Bugs forum
(2020-09-17, 08:10 PM)StoneCrab Wrote: OP 2.0, OpenCPN 5.2.0, Raspberry Pi 3B+
When configuring the system with a monitor attached via HDMI the resolution is great.  The Desktop fills the screen and you can see both panels of OpenCPN.  When using VNC, however, the resolution looks like VGA and I can only see one of the OpenCPN panels.  Due to the zoomed in nature of the screen, I can't navigate to the top menu or move past the view-able area by panning.  

I've spent some time looking at the VNC documentation but it basically says that the screen is repeated to the client.  Changing resolution happens on the server side.  Yet... I am receiving a screen at a resolution which is different than the server.

Hi,
This worked for me:
https://help.realvnc.com/hc/en-us/articl...server-0-7

In particular the last section:
 "Troubleshooting VNC Server 
Changing the Raspberry Pi’s screen resolution"