This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Freeze on cold start
Star 
Copy of my latest post on Cruiser's forum :
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/sho...ost3239078
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Thanks for reporting, hopefully we get a response soon.
Sailoog,

I Got a response by Hakan, but not clear for me, as I am short of SignalK background knowledge :  https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/sho...ost3239078

Didier..
There was before similar issues when connected to Signal K. Historical data was received upon connection and was shown until updated. With O 5.2 and latest Signal K this was solved for other type of data. What's your Signal K version? If older than 1.31, if I remember correct, it may be the cause. Recent version is 1.33

I remind Openplotter  SignalK version is 1.26 ...

What is your opinion ? Is it problematic to update Signal K ?
(I started Opencpn 2 hours ago, and position data is still non consistent neither usable !)
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Yeessss ! SK has been updated to 1.34, Serial has been updated accordingly, and I am no longer anxious to start OpenCPN, FIX is reached without any delay and position data are immediately consistent : it works great now !

Merci braz (Big THANKs) for the effort, life is better today !  Smile
Cordialement
Didier B

Yes, we have updated openplotter-signalk-installer to force a Signal k server update. We always recommend updating signal k server when possible.

thanks for reporting!
Using signal K It is just impossible to get a fix !
Cordialement
Didier B

OK, then reopen cruiserforum post pleas.
(2020-09-24, 05:42 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Thanks for reporting, hopefully we get a response soon.

(2020-09-29, 10:22 AM)Sailoog Wrote: OK, then reopen cruiserforum post pleas.
I did that. I would add the following : today I have completely rebuilt an openplotter config : formatted SD, installed raspberrypiOS, OP dependencies, OP packets and  all OP components andSignal K. Then I ran Serial, Signal K, OP, made the connections set everything and was satisfied as everything was going 100 % OK... I went for a walk, and when back home, restarted OP and then impossible to get a fix ! The position started to be L0, G0, and then it started to jump all over the universe ! hours after it is still bouncing  ... I am sorry, but :

Signal K is killing OP !

Sailoog, seriously, is there a way to roll back to pre-signal K era ASAP ???
Cordialement
Didier B

Calm down Didier, Signal k is killing nothing. This is an OpenCPN bug.

You can always use the old way, disable the signal k connection in opencpn and enable the TCP localhost 10110.
Actually you should do this to help us to fix this issue: Using the signal k connection in opencpn when your boat start jumping over the universe, please remove the signal k connection and enable the TCP localhost 10110. You will not get a position fix either but your boat will not jump. That is the confirmation that the bug is in opencpn an not in signal k.

You are at home so probably you have not a good satellites view but you will not have problems onboard. This is my hypothesis for your position fix problem: you got a position fix indoor probably because you are close to a window a you can connect to a minimum of 3 satellites, then you go for a walk and when back home you no longer have a fix because satellites have moved and you do not have connection with the minimum amount of satellites. Try onboard or outdoor.
Didier, we don't know exactly what's causing you trouble even though we're getting closer.

But to serve you as a reference, I myself have put Signal K as the exclusive center of openplotter and it goes to perfection. In my assembly a small rpi- with Moitessier hat collects data from GPS, Ais, the rest of sensors of the moitessier hat and even seatalk data. ALL go directly to Signalk. 

In fact in that central rpi with Signal K I have eliminated even applications like openplotter-serial because I do not need it when doing that Signal K work.

As a result everything works to perfection so I can assure you that Signal K is one of the best parts of OpenPlotter.

This little Rpi that collects everything and sends it out using Signal K, does nothing more than that. Then, on the navstation I have the Rpi4, the main one, which collects this data sent by the small rpi3 with hat. In this rpi4 is where OpenCpn runs and works properly. I use OpenCpn exclusively with data type Signal K. Also I could do it with NMEA0183 data and it would work exactly the same.

Sailoog thinks that in your case there might be some lack of GPS signal quality either because of the area you are in or because of some kind of interference. It seems that in such a case OpenCpn does not interpret that situation well, or at least it does not do it as well as when working with NMEA0183 data. That could be the origin of your problems. If so, it is not a problem related to Signal K but to OpenCpn and its way of understanding the Signal K data.

In your case try to replace your opencpn data connection with the classic NMEA 0183 type. That is to say, cancel the Signal K localhost:3000 and change it for the TCP localhost:10110. 

Check if using only NMEA 0183 type your problem disappears or changes its behavior. 

And don't be obsessed with Signal K, believe me, it's one of the best advances we're expecting. NMEA0183 is quite limited.

I can confirm it Didier. I'm on board and I just did the experiment. 

If I use opencpn with Signal K data everything goes perfect. Then I have thought to use the portable VHF and start to broadcast just above the HAT Moitessier. In a few seconds the GPS signal has been distorted and the boat has jumped to world position 0.0 in the Atlantic.

I have repeated the experiment using NMEA0183 data and by cancelling the GPS signal the opencpn boat has changed to grey as I expected but it has NOT moved to 0.0. It is here where OpenCpn must be corrected so that when the GPS signal is lost it behaves in the same way. NOT moving the boat to 0.0 but keeping it in the last known position.

This seems to be a problem related exclusively to OpenCpn and will surely be solved soon.