This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Understandig serial-communication
Hi,

I am ordering some parts for my motor-controller project, and am looking at the serial communication between openplotter/tinyplotter and the motor controller. Seandepagnier recomends optoisolators.

I already have some ILD213 Optoisolator Microcontrollers, but I suppose they are too slow? Could ADUM1201 work?

And then McNugget seems to use a Mini RS232 to TTL Converter Adaptor?

Could I in theory, with some risk, just cross both TX to RX + GND and 5v, or do I need some interpretating controller on one/both sides? Do the cables need some special shielding for these kind of signals?

Why would I use RS232 adaptor? Should I use it on both sides, reversed? Do I still need an opto-isolator?

My boat has all kinds of Silva Nexus NX2-instruments (also with multi-control and server with rs232 nmea PC-port), but no plotter or autopilot for now. Should i buy more adaptors/isolators to use for adding information about wind, position, heading, speed and so on to the openplotter?

Needless to say, I still do not know what I am doing, but I am eager to learn.
I'd keep it KISS, see this thread https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread....5#pid13665. Depends a bit on the length of your cables.
you can proceed without isolation at your own risk but be aware of level translation since the arduino typically runs at 5v and the rpi at 3.3