This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPI4 Boot Order SSD First, Then SD if SSD Fails
Question 
Hello,

I've had my OP booting reliably from an SSD for several months now.  A little while back, I found a wiki explaining how to change the boot order, add network boot, etc.  I can't seem to find it now, when I want to make a change.

I plan to keep a mirror copy of my SSD on the SD in the Pi as a backup.  If for some reason the SSD fails, all it will take is a restart and the Pi will be able to boot from the SD until I can open my project up and FIX the problem.  

In the default configuration of the Pi firmware, if there is an SD card, the Pi will boot from it and ignore the SSD.  The line in the firmware setting boot order is: BOOT_ORDER=0xf41.

I'd like to change it to: BOOT_ORDER=0xf14, so that during boot, the Pi will FIRST check if a bootable SSD is found and if so boots from the SSD.  If no bootable SSD is found, the Pi will boot from the backup SD.

My problem is that I can't find the wiki showing how to make this change.  Anyone with knowlede, please share.

jamieFL
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio..._config.md

as far as i know if you have the setting for boot from usb used then to boot from the sd card you cant have a usb drive connected to the pi. it does not work the same as a bios. i could be wrong but i think thats how it works
i do have an atomicpi x86 processor that has a bios that i am going to test with Lubuntu /openplotter. some day Smile
(2020-10-02, 02:31 PM)jim321 Wrote: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio..._config.md

as far as i know if you have the setting for boot from usb used then to boot from the sd card you cant have a usb drive connected to the pi. it does not work the same as a bios. i could be wrong but i think thats how it works
i do have an atomicpi x86 processor that has a bios that i am going to test with Lubuntu /openplotter. some day Smile

From the document above:

BOOT_ORDER fields
The BOOT_ORDER property defines the sequence for the different boot modes. It is read right to left and up to 8 digits may be defined.
  • 0x0 - NONE (stop with error pattern)
  • 0x1 - SD CARD
  • 0x2 - NETWORK
  • 0x3 - USB device boot - Reserved - Compute Module only.
  • 0x4 - USB mass storage boot (since 2020-09-03)
  • 0xf - RESTART (loop) - start again with the first boot order field.
  • Default: 0xf41 will retry the SD boot if the SD card detect pin indicates that the card has been inserted or replaced.
  • The default boot order is 0xf41 which means continuously try SD then USB mass storage.
yea i saw that i have 3+ i dont think it works the same on the older pi's hope the link help though..
@jim321,

Yes, thanks. Still looking for the solution.

jamieFL