This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Moitessier Hat and signal K not connecting consistently
(2022-09-08, 08:38 AM)nebosa Wrote: I too have a similar problem.
RP4 (8GB), Moitessier Hat 2, MCS
Sometimes I don't have GPS in OpenCPN. Sometimes very quickly, sometimes it takes a little longer until I get the signal displayed.
Strange:
If I have a GPS signal and go to the Dashboard settings in OpenCPN and set something there under Plugins - Dashboard, OpenCPN loses the GPS connection and does not establish it anymore.
However, the Moitessier Hat 2 still provides GPS according to the flashing LED on the board. At this point in time, I still have GPS data in AVnav.

I need help Smile

I have a similar Issue with same Hardware as you, running latest Open CPN version, but still OP 2.X. To me it happens when I configure whatever in Open CPN or in Open Plotter. I solve it restarting the Signal K server via web.

Until some sails ago, I hadn´t used any dashboard based in SignalK, now using MXtommy KIP; which is lovely, however ( I have to investigate further) some data is absolutely inconsistent , like for instance SOG  or AWA (relies on SOG) , it goes on his own, not like a lag, just inaccurate readings.

Any clues?
Maybe you have more than one program fighting for the same serial connection. The serial connection of the moitessier should be read only by Signal k and opencpn and avnav should read from Signal k.
Thanks Sailoog, if I check Serial , connections, I just have SignalK in the list. Is there where I should check?

Just 2 connections: 
  • Hat to Signal K at 38400 Bauds (Moitessier Hat2)
  • Wind (Nasa NMEA0183) to SignalK at 4800 Bauds

If I check the tab devices, I have both devices:
  • WIND in USB port 1-1.3:1.0
  • Hat in Virtual USB port.
I have also checked in OPENCPN Options/Connections, and I just have the SIngalK entry with localhost ort 3000 and priority 1, as usual...

All checkboxes above unticked

Just checking these things, made me lose again the GPS in Open CPN, a restart of SignalK server, and back to life. This is not annoying, but to get erratic readings of SOG and so on, it's a real pity...

That's all!

Wink
Are you sure no more programs are trying to connect to the HAT, only signal k? GPSD, AvNav...

Are you sure you have a clear satellite view? How do you know you have a GPS fix?

Make atest with only the HAT and the raspberry. No more boards or devices connected.
(2022-11-28, 02:17 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Are you sure no more programs are trying to connect to the HAT, only signal k? GPSD, AvNav...

Are you sure you have a clear satellite view? How do you know you have a GPS fix?

Make atest with only the HAT and the raspberry. No more boards or devices connected.

Thanks for the fast reply.

No other programs nor devices trying to connect to the hat. It's almost a fresh install, and I just added VNC viewer and Firefox, so not related to this issue.

Yes, I have a clear sky and usually 18-21 satellites , and in Signa K server, Data brower showing "navigation.gnss.methodQuality" "DGNSS fix",  (It's also  Visible the number of satellites and fix in OPen cpn Dashboard )

If I look in the Signal K server, I have the 2 nmea 0183 (hatr and wind) , and the 2 Signal K  (pypilot and  I2C)

Add

Under navigation, Navionics is connected via web to SignalK, but I don't think that should disturb either

Huh

Maybe this is a clue, the Open CPN, upon start  always show message to disable problematic plugins as it was closed improperly... (Even when I always close it with menu EXIT), Open CPN 5.6.2
Make a test with only the HAT and the raspberry. No more boards or devices connected.

disable the signal k connection in opencpn and create a network TCP connection on port 10110. If the signal get lost again open the "NMEA Debug Window" in options-connections and check if you do not have NMEA data or your data do not contain position.
Photo 
I have followed your instructions and GPS signal was lost again  This happens just when I do any settings change or check whaterver in setting. Under regular conditions, no problem.

NMEA window show no errors, just green messages with sentences WIMWV and a number,  but the last data seems null <0x0D><0x0A>. I can't pause nor copy nor filter in this window.

As soon as I have restarted the SignalK server, I get then values of different kinds and not just WIMWV, GPS working again

Now, which connection should I leave activated , the Signal K entry 3000 or the TCP entry 10110?

Thanks!

I can live with it
"This happens just when I do any settings change or check whaterver in setting."

where? opencpn or signal k?

so your problem is not in opencpn or data values, the signal k server or the moitessier hat stops sending data.
(2022-11-28, 08:10 PM)Sailoog Wrote: "This happens just when I do any settings change or check whaterver in setting."

where? opencpn or signal k?

so your problem is not in opencpn or data values, the signal k server or the moitessier hat stops sending data.

It's just when I open settings window in  open CPN, independently of the tab I use, I can play in Signal K ( Tokens and similar small things) and connection is not lost. I have tried to force the  error opening all settings in the menu of Raspbrry, Openplotter and no error either.

The point is that Open CN always closes always unsuccessfully and show error option to safe mode upon new start. I think ths is definitive for this issue. It happened to me in a previous install too, then I rtrie to solve it einstalling and still remains the same.
Did you ever solve this with Moitissier hat? I hacked mine a few days ago and went with OP3 and this problem started appearing.