This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simrad multifunction to Tinypilot
I wonder if its possible to control Tinypilot from my Simrad multifunction display/control head (Go9)

Thoughts?
Currently: no.

I can export data like the heading to the B&G MFD (which is the same as the Simrad).
The export itself is almost standard if you use a supported canbus adapter like a canable (pro).
First you need the autopliot parameters in SignalK (I think something like RMB and RMC).
Then you need a plugin to export the data to NMEA2000 (RMB and RMC are note included in the SignalK to NMEA2000 plugin).

After that you probably need some tweaking to get the MFD to accept the tinypilot as autopilot device.

I think the first station to cover is getting the tinypilot to work with mxTommy.
(2020-10-07, 08:49 PM)hreuver Wrote: I think the first station to cover is getting the tinypilot to work with mxTommy.

mxTommy? Do you mean KIP?
(2020-10-07, 10:32 PM)rastam4n Wrote:
(2020-10-07, 08:49 PM)hreuver Wrote: I think the first station to cover is getting the tinypilot to work with mxTommy.

mxTommy? Do you mean KIP?

Yes, since it covers autopilot, but still in SignalK.
There was some discussion about signalk before:
https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=2858

Now that pypilot integrates with signalk bidirectionally, it is possible to integrate. It accepts: 'steering.autopilot.target.headingTrue' but not other keys. It would be great to do more, but the signalk standard for autopilots really does need to change. It is cluttered with irrelevant keys that are specific to proprietary nmea autopilots. It is missing important keys. I am hesitant to work on this much because the more work that goes into it before change will create more resistance to change in the future.
(2020-10-08, 05:35 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: There was some discussion about signalk before:
https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=2858

Now that pypilot integrates with signalk bidirectionally, it is possible to integrate.  It accepts: 'steering.autopilot.target.headingTrue' but not other keys.   It would be great to do more, but the signalk standard for autopilots really does need to change.   It is cluttered with irrelevant keys that are specific to proprietary nmea autopilots.  It is missing important keys.  I am hesitant to work on this much because the more work that goes into it before change will create more resistance to change in the future.

"Now that pypilot integrates with signalk ..."
I read there are more keys available than I can currently see.

As far as I know port 20220 works for NMEA0183, what port would be needed for unfiltered SignalK?
pypilot automatically detects and connects to a signalk server on the network. So this uses zero conf, and no configuration is needed whether pypilot runs on openplotter, or pypilot is running on a separate computer like tinypilot connected to openplotter by network.

So to utilize signalk you only need to communicate with signalk-node-server which by default is running on openplotter. This is not really specific to pypilot anymore, but the default port is usually 3000 and it uses websockets or other transports, check the signalk documentation.