This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunlight Readable Display
(2024-03-26, 06:40 PM)Hillzzz Wrote: HI Fraser,

Thats really interesting. I stopped looking at the software side for a bit because I am currently designing a 3D printed box to put the screen and Pi in that will be attached to the helm station. I looked at Navipods and similar and could not understand why a plastic box cost more than the screen and Pi together. I will shortly get ack to the software side so thanks very much for your pointers. very helpful.

Thanks, Hillzzz,

That's exactly what I'm working on right now too! I'm just printing a bracket for attaching it to the instrument area above my companionway.

That looks Awesome!! I would think about printing it in a light colour, my black helm screen gets really hot!!
(2024-03-26, 09:34 PM)Techstyle Wrote: That looks Awesome!!  I would think about printing it in a light colour, my black helm screen gets really hot!!

Thanks! That ship has sailed now that the screen is attached with sikaflex! It will be under the spray hood though so should be in the shade. 

There’s a Raspberry Pi 4B inside and a 12V buck to provide stable power to the screen and Pi power HAT.
Shocked 
(2024-03-26, 09:27 PM)fjj Wrote:

Thats really interesting. I stopped looking at the software side for a bit because I am currently designing a 3D printed box to put the screen and Pi in that will be attached to the helm station. I looked at Navipods and similar and could not understand why a plastic box cost more than the screen and Pi together. I will shortly get ack to the software side so thanks very much for your pointers. very helpful.

Thanks, Hillzzz,

That's exactly what I'm working on right now too! I'm just printing a bracket for attaching it to the instrument area above my companionway.

Awesome Frazer,

here is my MK1 Plotter case i am now working on the MK5 [Image: shocked.png] My first print was in standard PLA but I am told that it cannot cope with the environmental conditions in a cockpit long term so i am now experimenting with other harder to print plastics that better stand up to heat. One problem i have found is that the PI overheats in the case after a few hours so I have been experimenting with rain-proof ventilation slots etc. Which is how I have got to MK5. My screen is held in place by a screwed down frame and a rubber gasket. I am hoping that will be sufficiently waterproof.
Cheers, Hillzzz

(2024-03-26, 11:44 PM)Hillzzz Wrote:
(2024-03-26, 09:27 PM)fjj Wrote:

Thanks, Hillzzz,

Awesome Frazer,

here is my MK1 Plotter case i am now working on the MK5 [Image: shocked.png] My first print was in standard PLA but I am told that it cannot cope with the environmental conditions in a cockpit long term so i am now experimenting with other harder to print plastics that better stand up to heat. One problem i have found is that the PI overheats in the case after a few hours so I have been experimenting with rain-proof ventilation slots etc. Which is how I have got to MK5. My screen is held in place by a screwed down frame and a rubber gasket. I am hoping that will be sufficiently waterproof.
Cheers, Hillzzz

That looks great! I’ve used Sikaflex to bind the screen to the front part of the case, then the back (Pi) housing bolts on (there are brass heatset inserts to bolt into) - there a neoprene gasket to weather seal it. I’ve popped a waterproof power connector on the back, a waterproof power button and an IP67 breather (basically a nut with a bit of Goretex on it) to allow pressure equalisation. 

I was considering heat - I have a fan inside and was thinking of reprinting the back and adding a double sided metal heatsink if it’s required.
(2024-03-26, 11:44 PM)Hillzzz Wrote: One problem i have found is that the PI overheats in the case after a few hours so I have been experimenting with rain-proof ventilation slots etc. 

I would avoid ventilation slots at all costs. Condensing becomes an issue right away. I've found Waveshare's 3007 cooling fans to be very effective even in small plastic enclosures. That could be a solution as-is. But if it's not enough on its own, you could quite easily a heat sink in the enclosure. Get two large area aluminum heat sinks (the other a bit smaller) from Aliexpress/Ebay/whatever. Then, design a cutout the size of the smaller heat sink in the enclosure. Glue or solder the heat sinks back-to-back, and then glue them both over the cutout with Sika. (Would probably be easier to draw a picture...)

Sorry, didn't read carefully, fjj already had presented that solution.