This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New OpenPlotter GPIO app available
I just installed this on a new OpenPlotter installation. 

Are there any tricks to getting pigpiod to run? When I check my status it shows pigpiod not running.
This might be the noobest question asked in this thread, but i've read through all 9 pages (twice) and I still can't make this work. To be clear: i've never done anything related to electronics in the past, and this is my first attempt. 

I have a Raspberry Pi4 with OP2 working fine. What i did is buy a Rasperry Pi Zero W2 and a "starter kit" (specifically this one)  to start playing with. Also went through all "tutorial circuits" to get familiar with components, as well as the behaviour of GPIO and some python code. So far so good.

Then I though that the first project i would like on my boat is and anchor chain counter. For what i read, i need to install a reed switch on the windlass and not a lot more. So to simulate that at home, i the simplest circuit and attached it to Rpi ZERO:

For testing purposes, i'm using a push button instead of a reed switch.

Now, on the Rpi 4 added the pulses device like this:

I was expecting to see keys like "gpio.revolutions" appear in SignalK when i start pushiong the button repeatedly, but that's not the case.

Any idea on how to start diagnozing the issue? I don't even know if the "remote GPIO" is working properly or not, nor how to test it :S

Thanks a lot
Hello

First to try:
Set the "internal Pullup" to High in the Settings. This is an internal Resistor for your PIN - your Reed closes to Ground, this is okay.

Second:
Try with an 1k Resistor from your Reed to the GPIO 18 to get an better Low Signal. Now it is 50% of 3.3V and you need 2.5 - 3.3 V for High.
Only if the first Tip does not work...

Eventually you only need the internal Pullup and no Resistors at all. It should work with your Reed between 18 and GND for testing.

good luck, Holger
Thanks a lot for your suggestions Holger.

It turns out that I when I specify the IP instead of the hostname in the settings without touching anything else, it just works, no need to change any resistor.

2 questions though:

1) Is there a way to use the hostname instead of the IP?
2) How do you make the counter "go back"? Do you use the polarity of the windlass motor or something like that to multiply the values? :S
for the name: use "raspberrypi.local".

for the counter, no idea - you could try reset counter and count again upwards.
Nice tip, thanks! Working now
Photo 
Bonjour,
J'ai connecté un DS2438 sur mon réseau 1WIRE mais il n'apparait pas dans la liste openplotter alors qu'il apparaît dans la liste W1 Devices de mon PI4
Qu'est-ce qui devrait être fait ?

[Image: 20230711.jpg]

[Image: 20230810.jpg]

[Image: device11.jpg]