This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New OpenPlotter GPIO app available
Information 
We have published the first alpha version of openplotter-gpio app. This new app will be in charge of managing some features that we can do with the Raspberry GPIOs.

At this moment only the Seatalk 1 feature is implemented and we need you to test it. You only need the hardware and openplotter-gpio app will do alll the software job.

After installing the app from OpenPlotter Settings (>= 2.5.0), click on "Add SK Connection" and fill in the required fields. Finally click on "Enable Seatalk 1 reception" and you will be ready to get data in Signal K from these old instruments.

This feature uses the TCP port 8888 that it is also used by Chronograf (openplotter-dashboards app) creating a conflict. Since python code to manage the conversion is embedded into Signal k code we can not make this port customizable so we have added this connection to our network conflict manager and users will be warned. If you have this conflict just update openplotter-dashboard app and re-install the "Influxdb/Chronograf/Kapacitor/Grafana" app. After booting Chronograf 8888 port will be moved to port 8889 and the conflict will be solved.

With this app we have also introduced a new conflict manager for GPIOs and it will affect the rest of apps using GPIOs. You will be warned about any conflict between apps and you will be able to select a GPIO only is this can be shared or is not used by other app.

Enjoy it and report please.
Sailoog,

this is awesome!  a little late for me, but I will get the hardware and do some testing.  Boat is out of the water so it may be slightly delayed.

looks like the hardware is available as a full board:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YJL3MQQ 

is that right?

thanks
Yes, that board will work but after changing the R1 - 470 by a 10k resistor. Let me know if you test it.
(2020-10-27, 08:12 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Yes, that board will work but after changing the R1 - 470 by a 10k resistor. Let me know if you test it.

OK, I have ordered a 5 pack ($2 more than buying 1) and some 10K resistors, PM me your address if you want me to send you one?
Thanks but I have a lot of them but no time to solder and any seatalk 1 device Smile
(2020-10-28, 12:01 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Thanks but I have a lot of them but no time to solder and any seatalk 1 device Smile

The parts have arrived and I have hooked up the seatalk side to a Autohelm ST50 dGPS transducer that puts out a Seatalk 1 stream.  it is not connected to the Pi yet (because I ordered a Pi 4 and it hasn't arrived yet) but what is the expected behavior of the LED?  is it supposed to be on solid or just flash?  it is on solid

Thanks
I'm afraid I can't help here because I've never tried it, but someone surely will.
(2020-11-03, 12:50 AM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2020-10-28, 12:01 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Thanks but I have a lot of them but no time to solder and any seatalk 1 device Smile

The parts have arrived and I have hooked up the seatalk side to a Autohelm ST50 dGPS transducer that puts out a Seatalk 1 stream.  it is not connected to the Pi yet (because I ordered a Pi 4 and it hasn't arrived yet) but what is the expected behavior of the LED?  is it supposed to be on solid or just flash?  it is on solid

Thanks

it is solid most time, only with data it blinks. with heavy data blinks more. if it is lightning, the seatalk connection should be okay.
Have you changed the input resistance to one of a higher value such as 10K? 

I remember that with the original resistor the light was almost solid, barely blinking and that was because the optocoupler input was saturated.

When I added the resistor - I didn't remove the one in the circuit but just added one in the input - the flickering was more evident.

Wait to test if it works well and if it doesn't then you should increase the value of the resistor.
The resistans in series with the led should in total be greater than 4k7, otherwise the load will be to heavy for the ST1 network. In the end of this dokument https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-serve...3-software I have put a link to a Python program so you can check the circuit.

Blog; https://pysselilivet.blogspot.com/