This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New setup
New setup: RPi4 (4gb) running openplotter, OpenCPN 5.2 running with NMEA 0183 data nicely flowing with TCP localhost 10110 into dashboard.  MPU9255 Installed. Pypilot plugin installed. Start pypilot with button in floating bar. Window jumps up "Disconnected"

What am I missing ? Do I need to add a connection in OpenCPN? 

Thx for any help.

Attached Files Image(s)

Have you installed the pypilot Openplotter app?
Perhaps that's the missing piece. I did not see that mentioned in the wiki. How does one do that?
Use the Openplotter settings app to install any apps you need I believe you need pypilot, serial, ic2, signalk and opencpn.
You will then need to create the sym links with the serial app and make the signal k connections with pypilot app.
That guided me a few steps forward. After sudo apt update & sudo apt upgrade, I opened openplotter menu, found settings, installed pypilot. However, whenever I attempt to launch pypilot from the settings > pypilot > open, or from the openplotter menu, this crashes the RPi, requiring power cycling to start back up. Thoughts?
May I ask exactly how you installed the pypilot package?

If I'm correct the normal way should be to start up openplotter-settings and use some steps to install the complete package (also see attachment, commands are just the order of the buttons to press):
(1)- add sources
(2)- update candidates
(3)- refresh
(4)- install openplotter-pypilot

That way a script is started to install some scripts in the background.
The openplotter-pypilot script you can find in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openplotterPypilot
There should be some extra scripts installed under /usr/local/python/3.7/dist-package/pypilot-(version)

I just assume that by installing the deb-packages the extra scripts are missing.

(5)- After the openplotter-pypilot is installed, run it to set the IMU correctly and check if the package works.
(6)- The IMU-data should be exported to SignalK and visible in the SignalK data browser
(7)- that part should automatically be started during the boot of OpenPlotter.

After the IMU is working you'll have to bind the pypilot plugin to the new pypilot service, I assume you have to connect to 'localhost' but I think here others have more experience.

PS normally I'd just put a link here to the manual, but I can't find the page on openplotter-settings.

Attached Files Image(s)

I installed pypilot originally skipping steps 1 and 2. I've now done so, and everything is dandy through step 4. The RPi crashes at step 5.

OK. Thanks for for your help. Seems I needed to power off, not just reboot. I've now got the pypilot running, and will proceed with calibration.
(2020-10-25, 03:40 PM)SaltyPaws Wrote: I installed pypilot originally skipping steps 1 and 2. I've now done so, and everything is dandy through step 4. The RPi crashes at step 5.

I must say I'm surprised that the whole RPI crashes (even when pypilot would be half installed).

Do you get any messages?
What is the information you get from "i2c-detect -y 1" (in plain english, is the imu detected correctly?)
Have you tried another sensor on the I2C bus?

Even when the I2C is not enabled in the RPI4 it should not crash.
You can try "sudo dmesg -w" in a terminal, when you start openplotter-pypilot.
If there is a message coming through you _might_ catch it (it would be better to log in remote to be able to save the message, but it si not said there will be a message).

Starting openplotter-pypilot from a terminal might also give you some error message (therefore 2 temrinals, 1 for dmesg and 1 for openplotter).

PS there is one other thing that is strange: your first post shows a magnetic heading. I assume the source is the IMU, than the IMU should be working already?
I'm sorry if I sound like a helpless newbie, but without an appropriate setup instructions wiki, there are just too many hoops to jump through that I just don't see.

I've got pypilot running. I can open the config menu. Since I'm using openplotter, I use 10.10.10.1 (or localhost) I can open the connections in pypilot and get NMEA info to TCP:20220. Guessing that I need to add a connection in OpenCPN for input TCP:20220. Is that right? However, in OpenCPN, the plugin remains DISCONNECTED.

(2020-10-25, 05:17 PM)hreuver Wrote: PS there is one other thing that is strange: your first post shows a magnetic heading. I assume the source is the IMU, than the IMU should be working already?

Crashes fixed. The magnetic COG is an OpenCPN dashboard that is using WMM correction to COG from RMC (not the IMU.)

Attached Files Image(s)

it's likely the pypilot plugin in opencpn does not match the pypilot version you are running.

If you can see the plugin version on the list, then compare to the pypilot version installed you can query by running:

pypilot_client -s localhost ap.version

if you don't have "pypilot_client" then it's the old version. Ensure the pypilot plugin version is 0.2 or newer