This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
another beta image release
When I send GPS and wind data from OpenCPN to the Pypilot the Wind "option" is appearing and leaving randomly.
I am using the TCP connection because the forward NMEA under config from pypilot does not work.
I am sending the RMC and MWV sentence every second, the GPS works the Wind as mentioned above.
it looks like I have it  working now, the Wind NMEA did not have a checksum I did not notice that because for OpenCPN it was no problem and because the Pypilot recognized it apparently sometimes I did not question that would be the problem.
Anyway I have now added the checksum to the winddata and now it seems to work.
pypilot discards nmea data with invalid checksums to avoid reading wrong data

because maybe a byte here or there is missing in a nmea stream, it could read 26 degrees instead of 216

What kind of wind sensor? Mine outputs at 10 or 20hz so dropping a few won't easily timeout. I think the timeout for nmea data is 4 seconds
I found 2 bugs:
You are not able  to change the Magnetic Heading Offset in the webgui, in the OpenCPN Plugin it works.
Same with Rudder Range in the webgui I am not able to change it, in OpenCPN it does work too.
(2021-03-04, 06:50 PM)Onno Wrote: I found 2 bugs:
You are not able  to change the Magnetic Heading Offset in the webgui, in the OpenCPN Plugin it works.
Same with Rudder Range in the webgui I am not able to change it, in OpenCPN it does work too.

Hi, I am MoNkToNk and I work with Onno on his Autopilot. I've just fixed this issue (The pull request has already been merged into master)  Smile
I have just added the tacking functionality to the web interface (and created a 'pull request' for this)
[Image: tack-web-interface.png]

The tack function is also working in de OpenCPN plugin, however in 'wind'-modus the direction seems wrong (starboard instead of port and vice versa)
(2021-05-17, 09:37 AM)MoNkToNk Wrote: I have just added the tacking functionality to the web interface (and created a 'pull request' for this)

The tack function is also working in de OpenCPN plugin, however in 'wind'-modus the direction seems wrong (starboard instead of port and vice versa)

Hi,

thank you for your work. 
Do you know if it works on a OC-raspberry system too? 
As I wrote here: Tack functionality does not work for me (openmarine.net)
The modified tacking.py does not work when running OC on a raspberry system. Onno made the same experience. It works when running OC on a windows system.

Best regards

Andreas
Hi Andreas, 
It seems like the Pypilot Plug-in in OpenCPN has about the same problems on the raspberry like on the windows version.
In both versions you can not swap the tack direction, only in windows without wind data you can swap the direction after the first default tack.
On the pi you can not at all.
With winddata you should could do the tack in both versions but it is the wrong direction.

At least you should now be able to use the webinterface.
Hi,

Onno thanks for your reply. 
As you know I tried the new tacking function a few weeks ago. After changing the tacking.py file and building it I tried here at home.

Using tinypilot (image 27102021) running on a raspberry zero  and opencpn (latest version) on a raspberry 3b+ running raspian buster (not openplotter) and tinypilot as a wifi client from the OC-raspberry.
I don´t have any NMEA input to OC. I use the NMEA-Plugin to generate a fake wind data stream wich is shown into the tinypilot as the compass course.

When starting the tacking function from the plugin it starts to count down and then switched to "tacking" but sets no new steering course and the actuator don´t move.
The plugin is hanging in this status until I close it and reopend it. With the old tacking.py the plugin stops and disconnect from pypilot after hit the tack knob.
The switching problem for the tacking direction is an other problem that I have too.

I´ll try to build the version with a new web gui and test this with my OC-system.

Thanks and best regards

Andreas
Hi,

after copying the tacking.py and the two files in the web gui folder to my raspberry zero into the pypilot folder and then build it (tinypilot) pypilot loss the connection to the wifimaster (opencpn). No communication to OC and no communication and infos on the display.

Best regards

Andreas