This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
waterproof remote control options
the waterproof switches I have found cost a lot, so the 8 button remote is going to end up costing the same as the autopilot computer!!    So this is one option but not really ideal.

I think the most interesting is 3d printing a mold and pouring silicon to make a waterproof enclosure for the electronics.  This will end up being a somewhat difficult project in the end though.

I played with capacative touch a bit, it may be more useful on a keypad wires to the controller but not so much for a portable remote control, because you will push the wrong keys if they are too close, and often tapping multiple times etc.. and water messes it up.

The other option is to make boards that can fit in existing tiller pilots to re-use the buttons, but each has different dimensions and I have given away a lot of these so I can't measure them.   This way, still only 2 wires are needed for the motor itself since the buttons are completely separate and wireless.   If anyone is interested, it would be helpful to give exact coordinates of the locations for tactile switches, and perhaps I can make boards to support a few different tiller pilots.

Now it would be possible to "tap" the motor power to charge a capacitor to completely avoid draining batteries (or even slightly charge them since alkaline can do that) but so far it seems with 2xaaa batteries the remote can last for years already.
Molded silicon with tactile switches underneath would be nice , especially since you can print the key functions in the mold.
On my SeaTalk remote I used a membrane numerical matrix keypad, but you need to memorize the functions.
I now use a garage opener style 4 button keyfob, with press 'n hold and dual buttons you can get a lot of combinations.
I would like to have a pocket sized remote with a display. If the link to the motor controller was wireless you could make the entire Tinypilot into a handheld unit.
I have a working wifi remote as well as RF remote so both options are wireless. The wifi remote needs a lithium battery to recharge and it has an lcd display. Using wifi it has 2-way communication and so can completely configure the gains and settings and won't miss key presses from transmission loss. I also need to make it waterproof. I have small solar cells that can also be added to keep the remote charged. Otherwise it can charge with a usb-c plug.

The RF remote uses 2x aaa batteries and seems like it will last many years on alkaline batteries but no screen and only one way communication.
(2020-10-29, 02:15 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: I have a working wifi remote as well as RF remote so both options are wireless.  The wifi remote needs a lithium battery to recharge and it has an lcd display.  Using wifi it has 2-way communication and so can completely configure the gains and settings and won't miss key presses from transmission loss. I also need to make it waterproof.   I have small solar cells that can also be added to keep the remote charged.  Otherwise it can charge with a usb-c plug.

The RF remote uses 2x aaa batteries and seems like it will last many years on alkaline batteries but no screen and only one way communication.

The challenge with the RF remotes we have been supplied with TinyPilot is they require multiple key presses to have a command register, and sometimes just one, it just not consistent and it's hard to tell whether there is a lag in responding or if the command was not received.
I like the idea of a two-way remote with a screen but I have no need for it to be waterproof. It would be nice if it was but certainly not a requirement. Water resistant would be more than acceptable for my use. I wonder if the waterproof requirement is an obstacle that can be over come at a later date?
Are there remotes available in the Pypilot store? I have not seen any in the store
Multiple key presses?

My RF remotes alternate codes for each button as well as a code when all keys are released. so you can press the keys really fast and it works, and doesn't have to timeout to find key release, but other 433mhz remotes (many exist with 1-4 buttons for low prices) must press the keys more slowly with less control, but it still works.

What I have is not even water resistant, but a prototype only really. I left one outside and the morning dew shorted it out, (it's fine now that it's dried)

So I need to figure out what type of silicon to cast into a 3d printed mold to make the enclosure and there are more than 100 types.
My apoligies, I meant IR remote that comes with the TInyPilot