This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet AP + Client WiFi
I have an RPi4 running the latest openPlotter version. I managed to install a nice 36dB gain USB to WiFi device. it's a Realtek high power WiFi with integrated external antenna connected the RPi's USB that allows me to get connected to the Internet from my boat to a long distance AP (I guess my access range is near 1/2 mile).
So, I  have configured in the openPlotter's network for the Ethernet to work as AP (connected the Wan port of a low power GL-inet router, so I have access to the Internet from all my devices). I managed for the RPi to supply everything the router needs and to bridging to the mentioned long distance WiFi.
So far, the RPi's internal WiFi is (tied to the Ethernet AP) not really being used, but it would be FANTASTIC if I could define the such wan0 as client, so I can integrate the rest of the boat's instruments thru my existent Go-Free WiFi (configured as AP-hub)
QUESTION: How can I SEPARATE the Ethernet (working as AP) from the RPi's WiFi, so I can configure such internal WiFi as CLIENT?

Any advice would be highly appreciated!
Seems like you are already there. Can you not connect to your RPI via your GL-inet router? What if you configured your Go-Free device as a client that connects to your GL-inet router, and then had all your devices connect to that?

I've had pretty mixed results using the on-board WiFi, particularly when something is also using the USB3 ports.
(2020-11-02, 02:22 PM)abarrow Wrote: Seems like you are already there. Can you not connect to your RPI via your GL-inet router? What if you configured your Go-Free device as a client that connects to your GL-inet router, and then had all your devices connect to that?

I've had pretty mixed results using the on-board WiFi, particularly when something is also using the USB3 ports.

Thank you for your response.
The GL-inet router is already connected to RPi and all devices are accessing to the Internet bridging thru the USB-to-WiFi (wlan1) device. This is am stable configuration, but internal WiFi is wireless AP.

Unfortunately, I can't change the Go-free configuration to behave as client. This is a close device that is basically broadcasting NMEA messages thru WiFi.
That is the reason why I am asking how to break the association between Ethernet and the RPi's WiFi, so I can use Ethernet as AP and WiFi as Client.
Tests done: If I suppress the AP and the bridge functionality, then I am able to have the internal WiFi (wlan0) as a client of the Go-Free and the external USB-to-WiFi as a Client of far away Internet up-link. It's not extremely stable, but I can have access to the internet from RPi. In such case, the route is off service.

Again, my request is how to create an Ethernet AP disassociated from the internal WiFi? Network utility doesn't allow to the create an AP if you do not include the WiFi. Actually, AP functionality is based on the WiFi and you can add the Ethernet. I sort of need these the opposite way.

Thanks a lot for your help and references