This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Route Data from OpenCPN
Are you able to get a Rhumbline on the second OCPN instance? Or use those sentences in any way - project a destination waypoint for instance?
(2020-11-06, 01:48 AM)Techstyle Wrote: Are you able to get a Rhumbline on the second OCPN instance? Or use those sentences in any way - project a destination waypoint for instance?

It's the same route so activate it on any machine and everything is the same. If you want the rmb etc sentences in SignalK then just output from one machine.
Resilio sync is good to keep files synced across devices but folders only unless you pay for the full version so you still need to manually copy across the navobj.xml files on each machine which is a bit dull but you can write macros in node red on linux or automate on android to do that. Resilio is sort of like a local dropbox.
I'm also trying to share an active route through signalK between different instances of OpenCPN and then possibly to the N2K plotter and AP.
I have a Pi running Openplotter and a windows laptop running OpenCPN.
Connected to the Pi is a USB AIS-GPS receiver which is working correctly, GPS and AIS data are received by signalK and broadcast to all OpenCPN connected.
I'd like to use the laptop to draw routes to be then displayed on the Pi. So far I managed to send RMB,APB,XTE sentences to signalK, I can see them being updated regularly in the data browser, however they don't get forwarded with the rest of the signalK data. I confirmed this by switching the connection type from signalK to TCP on the Pi, so I could see in the NMEA monitor that those sentences were missing. So I guess signalK not forwarding some data would be one problem. The other problem being, I tried to open a direct TCP connection between the two instances of OpenCPN, bypassing completely signalK, filtering RMB,APB,XTE only. This time I could see in the NMEA monitor, OpenCPN on my Pi was receiving those sentences correctly, but it wouldn't use them to draw an active route on the chart.
Am I missing something?
(2021-07-04, 07:53 PM)tringhy Wrote: I'd like to use the laptop to draw routes to be then displayed on the Pi. 
Am I missing something?

Pretty sure the only way to copy an opencpn route from one machine to another is copy across the opencpn navobj.xml file. So create the route on your laptop, close opencpn so it saves everything to the navobj.xml file then copy that file to your rasp pi. In windows it will likely be in C:\ProgramData\opencpn , don't have a Pi booted up right now so can't remember the location on linux.

RMB,APB,XTE just give info about how far the current position is from an active  route/waypoint - not the actual route. 

The signalk server converts these nmea messages to signalk deltas as it receives them, but the actual route doesn't get sent. It's in the navobj.xml file.  >

[Image: qNSvF0R.png]

Hope this helps.
(2021-07-05, 09:29 AM)PaddyB Wrote: RMB,APB,XTE just give info about how far the current position is from an active  route/waypoint - not the actual route. 

The signalk server converts these nmea messages to signalk deltas as it receives them, but the actual route doesn't get sent. It's in the navobj.xml file.  >

I had hoped that the Waypoint could be displayed on the second instance if the second instance receives the RMB sentence as the RMB Sentence includes the position of the waypoint, but it is not supported in OCPN.
Ok, that thing about sharing full routes is now clear, thanks. I guess it could be useful to set a shared folder in the network and have all instances of CPN use the same file. We would probably need a plugin to save and reload the .xlm file regularly avoiding interference between instances, the idea is to be able to update the route in real time on all instances and instruments from anywhere on the boat, without needing to restart CPN. I'm not sure but I guess commercial plotters have this feature, so there might be N2K sentences for that?
By the way i was mainly trying to get a single leg "go to" temporary route, or just the active leg of a longer route, to be shared across the network so that the AP (raymarine on N2K) could use it in track mode, or any other way i could steer the boat from OpenCPN. I'll try the AP plugin too, and build a pypilot, with time.
Still, even those sentences seem to be received and understood, but not forwarded by signalK, I can see them in signalK like your screenshot, but I can't see them being received by NMEA monitor (everything else shows up, if in TCP mode). I'll wait until i get my new AP to test on an actual N2K network.