This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
controller connection
(2020-11-08, 11:38 AM)Max1947 Wrote: Thanks Sean.
I had already prepared a new SD with "OpenPlotter Moitessier HAT.img". 
So all updated.
Now in addition to the red LED which indicates that there is current, the orange LED is seen faintly every 4/5 seconds. 
So I'm assuming your controller isn't broken but still something is wrong. 
The actuator shows no signs of life. 
Let's take small steps and wait. 
Thanks again.

If orange led is faint then most likely either pypilot is trying to probe the controller.   Maybe it does not have a good connection receiving data, so if the pi can send to the controller but cannot receive maybe.

(2020-11-08, 01:00 PM)Gilles Wrote: Thanks Sean, 
"Red is on and blue is flashing, the controller is not programmed". That is indeed what is happening. What should I do ?

This is my fault completely if this is really the case and I'm sorry.   The way to solve it is to stop pypilot, ensure it isn't running eg:

ps aux | grep python

Ensure pypilot is not listed.   Now install arduino:

sudo apt install arduino

Then after cloning pypilot:

cd pypilot/arduino/motor
make upload

If this does not work, you may copy the avrdude command executed and paste it, then run it exactly when applying power to the controller.   This is only needed normally if the controller is already programmed though.

If you have any issues at all, please post the output.   I think you are also entitled to a partial refund. I think I sent 1 or 2 controllers I had assumed they were programmed when they were not, and they never fail the tests now that they are assembled.
Thanks Sean,
I confirm the blue led is flashing and the red is on

I did sudo apt install arduino
then unable to find the pypilot / arduino / motor folder.
Could you give me the full path? Impossible to find my way in the tree structure .

The refund is not a problem. I just wish it would work

i found the folder (I forgot to clone pypilot before). I need to install python 3 and keep you posted.
I'll watch tomorrow, it's late here. It seems that the USB addressing needs to be changed. The controller is connected to the GPIO ports.
I'll watch tomorrow, it's late here. It seems that the USB addressing needs to be changed. The controller is connected to the GPIO ports.
Here is the end of the message after launching "make upload":

avrdude -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -u -p atmega328p -c arduino -U f:w:motor.cpp.hex -b 57600
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "/dev/ttyUSB0": No such file or directory

avrdude done. Thank you.

make: *** [Makefile:75: upload] Error 1
Sorry, please edit Makefile and change DEVICE to /dev/ttyAMA0, or just change in the avrdude command and try again
Hello Sean,

I made the change, nothing moved. I replaced all the USB0 references by AMA0 in the program nothing changes. It fails to connect to the controller, here is the end of the message:

avrdude: stk500_recv (): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync () attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp = 0x00

make: *** [Makefile:76: upload] Error 1
I inserted a GPIO expansion card, that I just received, between the Moitessier Hat and the Raspberry, now the blue led is still flashing, the red led is on and now an orange led lights.
Ok, for the moment I give up. I wait for Sean to make progress.

Confused Cool
(2020-11-11, 09:52 AM)Gilles Wrote: I inserted a GPIO expansion card, that I just received, between the Moitessier Hat and the Raspberry, now the blue led is still flashing, the red led is on and now an orange led lights.
the orange led indicates data.   So this is not a good sign if it stays lit because something else is communicating on your board.     I suggest that you attach the controller by just the 4 wire without additional hats.

Ensure /dev/serial0 points to /dev/ttyAMA0

Try applying power to the controller at the exact moment you run avrdude.  If you cannot get it working, please contact me by email and as a last resort I will send you a new controller.
(2020-11-11, 05:15 PM)Max1947 Wrote: Ok, for the moment I give up. I wait for Sean to make progress.

Confused Cool

Is there a chance you can try the tinypilot image to verify the motor controller?
Hello Sean,
I have reinstalled openplotter twice with and without the Moitessier hat. In the new version of openplotter, I can't stop Pypilot anymore. Previously it was enough to check disabled, and doing "ps aux | grep python" the pypilot was no longer listed, now it is impossible: "pi 1654 0.1 2.8 106456 54096? Sl 07:14 0:01 / usr / bin / python3 / usr / bin / openplotter-pypilot " is displayed whatever I do (with a question mark). (python3 instead of python before?)
I uninstalled Pypilot in OpenPlotter, ps aux | grep python "always list me" pi 1654 0.1 2.8 106456 54096? Sl 07:14 0:01 / usr / bin / python3 / usr / bin / openplotter-pypilot "and adds a second line:" pi 5196 0.5 2.8 106488 54200? Sl 07:34 0:01 / usr / bin / python3 / usr / bin / openplotter-pypilot "
The red and orange leds remain on, the bue led is flashing.
Christmas soon

Sorry, a pypilot window was open when I uninstalled it. Pypilot has indeed disappeared.
Even when the pypilot is uninstalled, expansion, power supply and hat cards present or removed, I cannot send the program to the controller. I do not know what to do.