This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I get 4G dongle working?
Bought a Huawei E3372h-153 and plugged it into RPi4 with OP 2.0
It shows up as eth1 with IP 192.168.8.100
OP sees it in the pulldown for "Sharing internet device" but when selected and rebooted it doesn't work. A 'traceroute' shows it tries to use 192.168.8.1 (!), which is not the same as ifconfig shows for eth1.
Also strange is that when "Sharing internet device" is on "Auto" it behaves exactly the same while there is a perfectly working WiFi-connection.

Suggestions welcome Smile
Put your SIM card into an Smart-Phone, if there ist an PIN active on the Card, disable it.
Try again in your Huawei Stick. Or try the Huawei Stick on your Computer to diable the PIN.

The eth1 Connection from the Huawei is the normal Behavior.
I got the same for my old Config with these Sticks. But now i use the SIM inside an little cheap Router with wlan&ethernet
to do the Boat-Accespoint. This is faster and stays online for other Devices even if the pi reboots. This is more stable for me, if the raspi has to do both: AP and Client on his internal wlan - things get an little instable over the time.
If you have to do this, put in another wifi-usb-stick to connect and share your harbour-networks.

You will like the comfort of an dedicated Router for your Network....

Good Luck, Holger
(2020-11-07, 09:41 PM)holgerw Wrote: Put your SIM card into an Smart-Phone, if there ist an PIN active on the Card, disable it.
Try again in your Huawei Stick. Or try the Huawei Stick on your Computer to diable the PIN.

The eth1 Connection from the Huawei is the normal Behavior.
I got the same for my old Config with these Sticks. But now i use the SIM inside an little cheap Router with wlan&ethernet
to do the Boat-Accespoint. This is faster and stays online for other Devices even if the pi reboots. This is more stable for me, if the raspi has to do both: AP and Client on his internal wlan - things get an little instable over the time.
If you have to do this, put in another wifi-usb-stick to connect and share your harbour-networks.

You will like the comfort of an dedicated Router for your Network....

Good Luck, Holger

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but it doesn’t answer my question.
I already am using a USB-stick for WiFi and that is working perfectly for me. So the internal WiFi is my AP and the external is for internet connectivity. But because that doesn’t work when sailing I want to add 4G connectivity. There is no pin on the SIM and it connects just fine. I can connect to its internal web-UI and see its status. However, if OP is configured to use this interface (eth1 instead of wlan0, which is the usb stick) there is no internet connectivity. A ping to google does not work, but it does resolv in an IP-address, which is strange.....
I've used e3372 for quite a while, but not with OpenPlotter, so can't help with OP stuff. Sounds like you are missing routing.

My RPi is a headless system configured with Ansible. In case it helps the relevant stuff is
https://github.com/tkurki/marinepi-provi...ml#L42-L45
https://github.com/tkurki/marinepi-provi...nat_router

192.168.8.100 is the ip address of your RPi and 192.168.8.1 is the ip of the dongle, that is acting as the gateway in the 192.168.8.x segment. You see 192.168.8.1 as the address when accessing its web ui.
i used the same config with an huawei stick and internal usb wifi plus external wifi.
as i remember, i left the sharing to auto, and was able to use ap-point at my home and also the LTE without modifying anything.
the "auto" should route the traffic to an life/active ip (but its not clear how it resolves this).
But i had lots of problems by activating the ethernet in the AP-Tab and connecting this to another router!
so better leave this checkpoint off!

Good Luck, your problems seem to come from an defective internal firewall setting.
so you may start with fresh network settings.

Holger
Thanks both for the info.
Today, totally prepared for network debugging Big Grin I plugged the dongle in and this is what I got:

pi@openplotter:~ $ systemctl status dhcpcd

â— dhcpcd.service - dhcpcd on all interfaces
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dhcpcd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2020-11-06 13:58:20 CET; 3 days ago
  Process: 354 ExecStart=/usr/lib/dhcpcd5/dhcpcd -q -b (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 409 (dhcpcd)
    Tasks: 2 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/dhcpcd.service
           ├─409 /sbin/dhcpcd -q -b
           └─566 wpa_supplicant -B -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0 -Dnl80211,wext

Nov 09 16:21:41 openplotter dhcpcd[409]: eth1: waiting for carrier
Nov 09 16:21:41 openplotter dhcpcd[409]: eth1: carrier acquired
Nov 09 16:21:41 openplotter dhcpcd[409]: eth1: carrier lost
Nov 09 16:21:48 openplotter dhcpcd[409]: eth1: carrier acquired
Nov 09 16:21:48 openplotter dhcpcd[409]: eth1: soliciting a DHCP lease
Nov 09 16:21:49 openplotter dhcpcd[409]: eth1: offered 192.168.8.100 from 192.168.8.1
Nov 09 16:21:49 openplotter dhcpcd[409]: eth1: probing address 192.168.8.100/24
Nov 09 16:21:54 openplotter dhcpcd[409]: eth1: leased 192.168.8.100 for 86400 seconds
Nov 09 16:21:54 openplotter dhcpcd[409]: eth1: adding route to 192.168.8.0/24
Nov 09 16:21:54 openplotter dhcpcd[409]: eth1: adding default route via 192.168.8.1

Nice, working as expected.
I blame the previous problem to a lousy cellphone provider because I can see it constantly loosing connection.

Now to find out about preference (metrics), because right now the config prefers the 3G/4G over WiFi and I would like it to have the other way around.

Oh wow, that was easy:
Add a line to /etc/dhcpcd.conf for eth1 (the 3G/4G dongle) with a metric slightly higher than the WiFi dongle.
fine.