This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB Can Device not detected
Hi,

I purchased this device and hoping to report back to the community:  https://www.tindie.com/products/lll7/can...rter-uccb/
When ordering I selected the SOCKET CAN (gs_usb) version.

I'm unfortunately not even getting off the start block.  When plugging in the device, it is not recognised by either the Openplotter Serial app, nor the CAN BUS app.

I upgraded Serial app to 2.2.1 (the only difference this made is that it no longer lists my edimax usb device)
I also upgraded CAN BUS app to 2.2.0.

when I do lsusb it shows up on the list.

Any idea what I can try?

I have look at lsusb. It looks the same chipset (STM32) as the Canable boards.

I expects you must generate a can0 for this board.

And then use it with SignalK.

With the Canable boards and the Candlelight firmware. You must make the can0
with:

ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 250000

You can give this a try.

But it depends on the firmware in your system.

Bram
thanks for the reply Bram.

As background, i'm connecting to a spur in my SeaTalk NG network.  I've stripped a cable and connecting blue and white (correctly i hope).  My wind instrument is on and other display on the network is showing the data.

I set can0 and bring it up with:
- sudo ip link set can0 type can bitrate 250000
- sudo ifconfig can0 up

when i check "ip link list" it shows up with "STATE UP", and if i add a connection in SignalK it shows "connected".   however I don't seem to be getting any traffic.  I've also tried using "candump can0" and nothing comes through.  

I have also noticed a strange correlation, when I bring can0 up, I seem to get intermittent data loss on the other devices on the network.  Does anyone know easy way to troubleshoot the CAN-H and CAN-L carriers?  possibly with multimeter?

If I am not wrong if you are using gs_usb firmware the serial app will not detect the device.
Documentation for that firmware: https://ucandevices.github.io/uccb.html > tools > GSUSB
Hi Loxon,

how are your settings in SignalK server for the can0 ?

Bram