This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losing GPS signal on OpenCPN
Hi
I have Openplotter running on Pi3- Ihave a GPS puck plugged in- and I can get a signal from the puck to the OpenCPN. But, if I leave it running overnight- it drops the connection to the puck and I cannot get it to reconnect. Last time, I had to reinstall the software all over again. When i use the Serial utility of the Openplotter software, I get a green connection and when i use the connection utility on OpenCPN, I the drop down presents the USB port, and the name of the puck. Am I doing something wrong? I am using a Beitan GPS receiver puck. It has the u-blox GNSS receiver  inside...do I need to get a different puck?

Thanks

Ben
does it have a clear view of the sky?
unplug &plug back in? when it happens.
Are you connected via SignalK?
If that what happens if you restart just SignalK?
Thanks
Download BBN Marine OS for raspberry pi 

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/m...at-os.html

Video of actual installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMjUs2X3qU

Are you using USB3.0 ?
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Hi-
Thank you for the responses- I was not using the USB3 port. Even when I unplugged and plugged back in it did not work. I had tried using Signal K in the past and it did not seem to work- but I reinstalled SignalK this time and it seems to be more stable. I will post again if that changes.
i had better results with an longer usb cable, versus connecting it direct to the unshielded raspberry.
especially usb3-traffic generates some digital noise to the other recievers (ais, radio or gps)