This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
LCD Display
(2022-04-06, 08:55 PM)fsnew Wrote:
(2020-11-16, 07:01 PM)Andreas29 Wrote: Hi,

tried to use an other LCD display this day but I was unsuccessful.

Use a jlx12864 with spi like the Nokia 5110.
Try to bring it up to work with a raspberry pi zero with tinypilot image from 27.10.2020
Nokia 5110 works, the other not.

There is a (eep)rom on the controller pcb. Do I have to connect some of the pins from this with the tynipilot?
The technical description from the factory is very poor. 

Is there something I have to change in the config-files of tinypilot or in the programs itselfs running on the pi zero(where?)
The connections are labeled a little bit different compared to the Nokia display but this is not the problem.

Best regards

Andreas

Hi, Andreas. I am trying to build a pypilot system on the base of your arrangement, using a RPI 4B instead of a RPI Zero. My intention is to replicate a keypad as in your arrangement using buttons to select the commands on Opencpn. My issue is how to modify the pypilot software in order to operate by the buttons keypad. I saw your schematics but I have no access to the pypilot software configuration appropriate to work by the keypad. The image of your software created on Raspberry Zero doesn't boot on my RPI 4B. So, could you give me some tricks or eventualy tell me which files should be modified or investigated to solve my problem?
I hope you can help me for this project.
I thank you very much.
Best regards

Francesco

Hello, unfortunately @ andreas29 is no longer between us (rip) I hope others can help you, good wind meanwhile, always!
(2022-04-07, 11:07 AM)Max1947 Wrote:
(2022-04-06, 08:55 PM)fsnew Wrote:
(2020-11-16, 07:01 PM)Andreas29 Wrote: Hi,

tried to use an other LCD display this day but I was unsuccessful.

Use a jlx12864 with spi like the Nokia 5110.
Try to bring it up to work with a raspberry pi zero with tinypilot image from 27.10.2020
Nokia 5110 works, the other not.

There is a (eep)rom on the controller pcb. Do I have to connect some of the pins from this with the tynipilot?
The technical description from the factory is very poor. 

Is there something I have to change in the config-files of tinypilot or in the programs itselfs running on the pi zero(where?)
The connections are labeled a little bit different compared to the Nokia display but this is not the problem.

Best regards

Andreas

Hi, Andreas. I am trying to build a pypilot system on the base of your arrangement, using a RPI 4B instead of a RPI Zero. My intention is to replicate a keypad as in your arrangement using buttons to select the commands on Opencpn. My issue is how to modify the pypilot software in order to operate by the buttons keypad. I saw your schematics but I have no access to the pypilot software configuration appropriate to work by the keypad. The image of your software created on Raspberry Zero doesn't boot on my RPI 4B. So, could you give me some tricks or eventualy tell me which files should be modified or investigated to solve my problem?
I hope you can help me for this project.
I thank you very much.
Best regards

Francesco

Hello, unfortunately @ andreas29 is no longer between us (rip) I hope others can help you, good wind meanwhile, always!

I am very sorry. I didn't believe for that.
Many thanks for your advice.
Francesco
(2022-03-10, 10:53 AM)fsnew Wrote: Hi, Sean. Many thanks for your tricks. I am now continuing with my hardware arrangement trying to implement the keypad function, that Is now my main issue. About the display , if I won’t success in using my various displays, I ‘ll eventually buy a Jlx12864 one or go ahead using an esp32 ( I have a lot in my store) . As said, however, I have to work extensively to understand how and if my hardware/software system that includes an Arduino Uno driving a brushed 12 V motor trough a PWM DIR 20A motor driver , could operate as a valid autopilot.  I hope in your kind assistance if I would have to face unsolvable troubles.
Best regards
Francesco

Just a trick for me. I don't know if , trying to implement the keypad function for pypilot control through OpenCpn or OpenPlotter , it is necessary to install a LCD display Nokia or Jlx12864, too. I tried to do one  key switch working through one of the the GPIO contacts listed in GPIO.py and page,py and with no LCD installed, but nothing happened . The pypilot motor however is engaged and works. 
Any help?
Many thanks

Francesco
Did you load the page http://localhost:33333 ? this should allow you to program the key.
(2022-04-20, 11:11 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Did you load the page http://localhost:33333 ?  this should allow you to program the key.

Hi, thank you Sean. It's an issue for me. It looks like it needs the pypilot_hat.service and I don't know how to enable it's software. However I think it connects properly  to the server as over VNC the data ( ap.command, heading, server status) are correctly displayed , probably through the  glut driver.  Moreover the interface through OpenCpn or OpenPlotter by running pypilot_control service work properly. My intention is to control the pypilot ( select, auto, -10/+10, -1/+1 , Port, Starboard ) through a keypad.
Best regards

Francesco
(2022-04-21, 08:17 PM)fsnew Wrote:
(2022-04-20, 11:11 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Did you load the page http://localhost:33333 ?  this should allow you to program the key.

Hi, thank you Sean. It's an issue for me. It looks like it needs the pypilot_hat.service and I don't know how to enable it's software. However I think it connects properly  to the server as over VNC the data ( ap.command, heading, server status) are correctly displayed , probably through the  glut driver.  Moreover the interface through OpenCpn or OpenPlotter by running pypilot_control service work properly. My intention is to control the pypilot ( select, auto, -10/+10, -1/+1 , Port, Starboard ) through a keypad.
Best regards

Francesco

Some background on the pypilot_hat service you can find here, including how to enable it: https://github.com/pypilot/workbook/wiki...-interface
(2022-04-22, 08:01 AM)ironman Wrote:
(2022-04-21, 08:17 PM)fsnew Wrote:

Best regards

Francesco

Some background on the pypilot_hat service you can find here, including how to enable it: https://github.com/pypilot/workbook/wiki...-interface

Ok , I read all the book. It's very interesting ans it provider a complete guide to Pypilot software understanding. However I have difficulties to enable pypilot_hat servire. I was able, for editing the relative file, neither to find /.pypilot/hat.conf nor to run pypilot_hat.service. Of course I am in some error.
Thanks for your assistance.

Francesco
Start with running pypilot_hat at the prompt and post the output here.
(2022-04-22, 10:37 PM)ironman Wrote: Start with running pypilot_hat at the prompt and post the output here.

Hi. I don’t know how but I am going ahead. Now at the prompt I have run pypilot_hat none and on localhost:33333 I coupled one button to an action to check if it works. It looks 
like the coupling Is ok, but when I operate the button , nothing happens. I would expect that , opening the gui opencpn interface or localhost:8080 and operating the button the corresponding parameters change acting on the autopilot too. I checked coupling the button to various actions ( select, auto, +10/-10) but with no result. In my hardware arrangement no hat device nor arduino device are installed.
I am proceeding with my attempts. Your tricks are very appreciated.
Best regards
Francesco
The pypilot_hat service reads from the gpio pins as well as many other functions. So without an alternative script , you will need the pypilot_hat service even if you dont have pypilot hat hardware or arduino. It typically will try to detect the arduino and if it is not found, proceed without it (and remote control reception) The usual way to enable services on debian systems is with systemctl:
sudo systemctl enable pypilot_hat
sudo systemctl start pypilot_hat

For debugging you can "disable" and "stop" the service. If you are able to link the key to the action, does it display the action programmed on localhost:33333? Does it show a connection to the autopilot? Is pypilot service also running?

If you can show a screenshot and also maybe the output from running pypilot_hat directly? Any hints about connecting?