This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
LCD Display
Hi,

@CapnKernel: I´ll mount my IMU-module as you describe and with x-axis points to the direction of the boat. This works here at home on the table at it´s best.

Regards

Andreas
Hi,
The IMU works in 3D and fortunately because the Earth's magnetic field is closer to the vertical than to the horizontal (60 degrees here). The most important thing is to calibrate the vertical correctly so that the calculation of the compass heading is correct. With Pypilot, level calibration is easy and the heading is correct in all conditions.
the advantage of aligning the compass is that pitch and roll are not interchanged and the compass gives absolute readings. For relative compass heading which is good enough to hold a course, only level alignment is needed.
"The backlight from display is powered by 3,3V and is dimmed down with a 2,5k resistor. This is ok for night viewing and not to bright."

Would it be possible to use a/the setting in the menu for the blacklight from a GPIO?
And I would like to have a red light burning when AUTO is active?
the backlight does not turn on and off with auto, it is a user set pwm modulated value and on or off based on the light sensor.
(2020-11-24, 11:19 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: the backlight does not turn on and off with auto, it is a user set pwm modulated value and on or off based on the light sensor.

I think he is asking for 2 things. 
1. to turn the backlight on it off - doable with a toggle switch or rotary potentiometer to make it adjustable
2. To add a red light so when AP is activated there is an indicator. I think this would require a bit of code. But would work with a LED and a resistor?
(2020-11-24, 11:38 PM)rastam4n Wrote:
(2020-11-24, 11:19 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: the backlight does not turn on and off with auto, it is a user set pwm modulated value and on or off based on the light sensor.

I think he is asking for 2 things. 
1. to turn the backlight on it off - doable with a toggle switch or rotary potentiometer to make it adjustable
2. To add a red light so when AP is activated there is an indicator. I think this would require a bit of code. But would work with a LED and a resistor?
Hi all,
I think you have a "engage/cluch" pin at the arduino wich can be used for a LED to show if the AP is engaged.
Save sailing
Andreas
Hi,

here´s (https://github.com/McNugget6750/pypilot-.../Motor.pdf) a shematic from one possibility to build a motorcontroller. You can see there´s a Pin (D7) witch can be used for a LED.

It´s possible to use PWM for the backlight and I think there´s a GPIO Pin free for using it. But my direction was a very easy way and I didn´t want a "Auto"Backlight. I just set the backlight once. First I use a trim potentiometer and after once set to the right point I see that was 2,5kohm so I use this value.

Best regards

Andreas
Thanks for the reply's!

I have a separate Motorcontroller and Tinypilot and would not like to ad extra switches or potentiometers.

Yes i mean 2 different things.

First the backlight,
I have now seen the baklight setting in the menu that is where I was looking for!
Which GPIO gives the PWM?
I could also be interested in the light sensor I do not see it in the schematics?

Second I would like to have a led burning when AUTO is active (not in standby) 
We could use a GPIO that pulls up? with resistor and led  attached?
I believe it's pin 9 of the arduino on the hat, so it's not controlled by the pi directly.

For an LED, you can do this with either pi or arduino but it's not implemented in the code directly at this time.

https://pypilot.org/schematics/pypilot_tinypilot.pdf