This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESP32 Mesh network (IOT)
I thought this was interesting for those of you running ESP32 on sensors etc.

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp-mesh...nlessmesh/
Hello ESP32 experienced person(s),

The ESP8266 with the Arduino IDE is very attractive for this OP hobbyist-Old sailor.

Can you recommend a "Hello World" level Thread or Tutorial just to send an NMEA0183 Sentence in text to the RPi Signalk, and have it displayed as say, depth?

My intention is to set-up the programming and interfacing via WiFi in compliance with Signalk/OpenPlotter for eventually adding ESP8266-to-WiFi-NMEA0183 sensors to the yacht.

A simplified set-up and test scenario would be of great help. (hopefully for Others too)

Thanks in advance for your insight,

Cheers

UPDATE, Answered:
https://github.com/SignalK/SensESP/tree/...emperature
has excellent detail sufficient to Get Started with PlatformIO
A similarly detailed Arduino IDE example is yet to be identified here

Its important to find a tutorial and the SAME BOARD, some ESP8266 clones don't have a usb interface or bootloaders.
Great help here thanks !
SensESP and SigkSens projects are both on GitHub, and are compatible with ESP32 or ESP8266. That's a way of implementing ESPs without as much programming.

Otherwise, you can load ESP32 libraries into the Arduino IDE or PlatformIO (recommended). At that point, you are pretty much in the same world as you would be with regular Arduino devices, with the understanding that device pinouts are different and some things, like 9-bit hardware serial, isn't possible. ESP32s have considerably more power and features than most Arduino devices, but as a starting place, I'd recommend just loading up some Arduino sketches into the ESP32 and working from there. As I'm sure you've discovered, there is a wealth of Arduino tutorials out there.
(2021-01-01, 09:34 PM)abarrow Wrote: SensESP and SigkSens projects are both on GitHub, and are compatible with ESP32 or ESP8266. That's a way of implementing ESPs without as much programming.

Otherwise, you can load ESP32 libraries into the Arduino IDE or PlatformIO (recommended). At that point, you are pretty much in the same world as you would be with regular Arduino devices, with the understanding that device pinouts are different and some things, like 9-bit hardware serial, isn't possible. ESP32s have considerably more power and features than most Arduino devices, but as a starting place, I'd recommend just loading up some Arduino sketches into the ESP32 and working from there. As I'm sure you've discovered, there is a wealth of Arduino tutorials out there.

Abarrow, thank you for the expedient Reply and good advice.

Narrowing the wide range of github and Arduino sources is a GREAT help
I often find myself learning a github library (Arduino) just to have to switch to yet another, to get my own project(s) to work.
Time when developed, dependencies, compiler versions, simplicity-my own limits can become quite a maze to get results.

Thank You
SensESP and SigkSens seem similar, what are the differences, which s best to use (my excuse TLNR)?
That's a question for mxtommy (SigkSens) and the SignalK team (SensESP)!
SensESP is under active development by several people.

A good place to start https://github.com/SignalK/SensESP/tree/...emperature

With these libraries the ESP part sends Signal K data, that the server can convert to NMEA0183 and make available to other parts of your system, like tablet/phone applications.
(2021-01-02, 03:48 PM)Sailabout Wrote: SensESP and SigkSens seem similar, what are the differences, which s best to use (my excuse TLNR)?

(2021-01-02, 10:42 PM)tkurki Wrote: SensESP is under active development by several people.

A good place to start https://github.com/SignalK/SensESP/tree/...emperature

With these libraries the ESP part sends Signal K data, that the server can convert to NMEA0183 and make available to other parts of your system, like tablet/phone applications.

SigSens can be compiled with the Arduino IDE
The SigSens.ino file has MANY library dependencies (over 20 on my IDE installation)
If you can get your Arduino ESP8266 to compile SigSens with all the installations and versions working together, that would be a very good start.
Hint;  arduinojson in Library Manager set to Version 5.1.1, not the 6.17 default (Jan 2020)
(2020-11-19, 12:00 AM)rastam4n Wrote: I thought this was interesting for those of you running ESP32 on sensors etc.

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp-mesh...nlessmesh/

Hello, it is possible to use SensESP with the mesh network that has been exposed?

Hi, I'm a newbie to ESP8266 boards.
I find SensESP interesting, since you avoid wiring the sensors.

I was doing tests for SensESP load from PlatformIO, with two boards, one Wemos d1 mini and the other Wemos d1 mini pro.

With the Wemos d1 mini board I could not charge SensESP, since during the charging process it stays halfway, and after a while it gives an error. Any idea why this happens? I follow the instructions.

With the other board, Wemos d1 mini pro, I was able to load SensESP, and connect it to Signal K working correctly (in the absence of connecting sensors)

I have a doubt, possibly it is silly. To load SensESP again with another platformio.ini file adding sensors, how is it done? Is the file overwritten?

On the ESP8266 board, if you want various utilities, do they have to be loaded using the platformio.ini file?

I have many doubts about how to program these plates, which is the first time that I use them.

Thanks for the patience