This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotary encoder
How about adding support for a rotary encoder in tinypilot, like on the Furuno 711 or Simrad AP48 ?
i don't know how it works in furuno or simrad, but would this encoder rotate in both directions with clicks and also be able to press like a button? What would pressing do? Same as auto button engage disengaged? Or menu button? Or a hybrid of these functions?

Do you have a specific part? It's difficult to make these waterproof.

I have made the buttons programmable from the web, and now with the new hat design there are 15 pins for buttons, so certainly could allow assigning a rotary encoder to 2 or 3 inputs, but it needs this as a special option to decode the inputs correctly counting steps and direction.
I think most rotary encoders work the same way - 2 pulse trains when rotated, each click is one pulse, and the phase determines direction
Pressing could be optional, and used as an ordinary button.
I agree that waterproofing would be difficult, but in many cases that is not a big problem - since not all installations need to be waterproof.
Here is a part from ebay;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KY-040-Encoder-...SwphNfTZJ1
great idea, i also think that a rotarty control would be an awesome option :-) great to steer with the AP engaged :-)
the rotary control also would be a nice menu control with push to select. waterproofing necessary...

the blink marine powertrack looks nice: https://blinkmarine.com/products/powertrack/
but expensive and so on...
Where can I get a waterproof rotary encoder?