This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A ready build pypilot
Hi,

now I finished my pypilot projekt.

Based on a tinypilot with raspberry pi Zero, an arduino zero and IBT2 as motorcontroller.

The pcbs are custom designed.

The IMU is seperated in its own box and connected to the pi via an I2C extender for longer distance

The display and control modul works with a jlx12864 LCD and touchsensors.

The only minor annoyance is, that the sprue of the housing cover (hope that´s the right word -google translate you know  Blush ) sits in the display area.
I designed the pcb for the display module before I got the housing, so that is a little design mistake.

The set with IMU, Mainboard and Control- and Displaymodul

The mainboard:

The IMU with I2C Extender:

The Display and Control Module (only with the cover):

The sprue fault:

Best regards

Andreas
Looks verry good.
Save sailing
Andreas
Hi,

it´s possible to polish the bubble in the display area away.

Then it looks like this:

Very much better now  Cool

Best regards

Andreas
(2020-12-13, 12:19 PM)Andreas29 Wrote: Hi,

it´s possible to polish the bubble in the display area away.

Then it looks like this:

Very much better now  Cool

Best regards

Andreas

Nice one Andreas,

Do these touch sensors work through the plastic cover?

Regards, Harry
Andreas, congratulations! Looks a really nice unit.

How did you change the software for the IBT-2?
Hi,

I use TP223 based touch sensors like this:

The sensors are installed with the pins facing down. The top must then lie against the cover. This works best and safest if you cut off the protruding pin pieces on the top and carefully file them away. The pins are still soldered in then. The sensor surface then rests on the cover over a large area and can detect through the cover.

Software:
I use the latest tinypilot image for the Raspberry Pi (with a light modified hat.conf for the jlx 12864 lcd) and a modified motor.ino from Timo (pypilot/arduino/motor at master · McNugget6750/pypilot · GitHub). I modified it a little. Using other Pins for the IBT-2 bridge and change the pwm-frequncy so that the motor sound´s not like a howling dog and I don´t use a status tft like Timo cause all needed infos are shown in the plugin or on the lcd.

I´m trying to write a little guide in the next days. When ready I´ll think that this makes thinks clearer.

Best regards

Andreas
Thanks Andreas, I have received my JLX 12864 LCD, looking forward to clarity on how you modified the hat.conf to use this instead of the 5110's.
you can just change the "lcd":"driver" field from "nokia5110" to "jlx12864" in ~/.pypilot/hat.conf

It default assumes nokia and unfortunately these displays cannot be probed. The i2c eeprom also stores the hat.conf so the hat's I build now all specify the hardware attached and editing the config is not needed. I am moving away from the nokia display because of contact issues
(2020-12-17, 05:56 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: you can just change the "lcd":"driver" field from "nokia5110" to "jlx12864" in ~/.pypilot/hat.conf

It default assumes nokia and unfortunately these displays cannot be probed.   The i2c eeprom also stores the hat.conf so the hat's I build now all specify the hardware attached and editing the config is not needed.   I am moving away from the nokia display because of contact issues

Thanks sean
I have reviewed the latest schematic you posted and I would love to hear about the thoughts involved with adding the eeprom and the atmega. Also how Tiny Pilot is using these additions.
Hi,

as Sean wrote just edit the .pypilot/hat.conf file and change the display driver field as described.
When starting the pypilot just wait, it needs some more time since the display shows informations. The start screen with the pypilot logo will not shown.

Best regards

Andreas