This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A ready build pypilot
Hi,

I found the time to write a guide and I uploaded all needed informations and software on github.

The guide: Guide pypilot

Look on github at: github

I tried to separate the informations, so I made some different repositories. Every repo comes with a readme with the needed informations.

Enjoy.

Best regards

Andreas
I noticed you have files for with or without rudder feedback. If rudder feedback is enabled in software but not needed, it can be connected to GND and it should disable it, so you could use the binary with rudder feedback. It depends on the hardware, but since my controllers (besides new high power version) use the 1v1 reference the rudder feedback gets divided and pulled down so if not connected it falls the GND. In other or custom hardware this may not be the case, so as you found, it's easy to disable by recompiling the motor controller sketch.

Also, you state that "normally the position sensors of the compass are factory calibrated" this is not quite accurate.

This true only for the accelerometer of the mpu9255, but it is not always true. Sometimes the mpu9255 accelerometer must be calibrated! This is maybe 20% of the sensors I received, and another 10% are actually defective, the rest don't need to calibrate the accelerometers.

The compass sensors always must be calibrated once mounted in the boat. This is pretty much true of any magnetic sensors.
Hi Sean,

thank you for reading the guide and for your hints.

I changed the guide and uploaded a new version witch contains your hints for the compass calibration.

I tried to make thinks as easy as possible for people how are not interested in writing code for Arduinos.
So I decided to upload two versions of the binary files.

You are right, it´s possible to use the version with rudder angle sensor when such a sensor is not mounted when just connect the Arduino Input to ground.
I write a hint in the guide for this too.

Today I uploaded a new version for the guide.

Thanks and best regards 

Andreas
Hi,

I updated the guide and upload it on github. I added a hint for the rudder angle sensor.

Andreas
This is the best pypilot implementation i've seen so far! Do you have the gerber file and bill of materials for this? 

Miikka
Hi,

@MiikkaSa: I wrote a PM

Best regards

Andreas
Hello @seandepagnier and @Andreas29.

First congratulations to both of you for the pypilot and for the implementation.
@Andreas29, i want to make your pypilot implementation because all of logic is store on one PCB.
But i have a question about the RF receiver with the second ATMega which has been added by @seandepagnier. Do you plan to add this component on your PCB or not (with the eeprom) ?

Thank you.

Thomas.
Hi,

@tni: Thomas, I didn´t plan to use a RF-receiver cause I build a control and display unit with touchsensors to control the pypilot.
If necessary I can use a tablet or handy and the web gui for remote control. 

Best regards

Andreas
I'm really impressed, after looking at the pictures and having downloaded and browsed through the second version of the guide. I'm a beginner with electronics, so I have a very basic question - do you make those beautiful PCBs/ motherboards yourself? or can they somehow be bought? I have only just decided to go from a mere compass project to a full (tiller) autopilot project, and I am particularly interested in the display/control module. I would love to have one of those! If you or someone you know makes such a board, are you willing to sell me one? I am ready to pay well for the work.
Thanks, from Mårten in Sweden
(2021-03-14, 09:25 AM)Guttagrynna Wrote: I'm really impressed, after looking at the pictures and having downloaded and browsed through the second version of the guide. I'm a beginner with electronics, so I have a very basic question - do you make those beautiful PCBs/ motherboards yourself? or can they somehow be bought? I have only just decided to go from a mere compass project to a full (tiller) autopilot project, and I am particularly interested in the display/control module. I would love to have one of those! If you or someone you know makes such a board, are you willing to sell me one? I am ready to pay well for the work.
Thanks, from Mårten in Sweden

Hi, follow this thread: https://github.com/AndreasW29/pypilot-ti...english.md - or contact Andreas29.

Hciao and good wind!    Smile