This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A ready build pypilot
Thanks, Max1947, I will look into that!
OK, quick learning experience, this! I have just ordered all three boards (main, display, IMU) at the minimum quantity of 5 from jclpcp.com. Really excited to receive them in a couple of weeks! It's fantastic that you can order PCB this quick, easy and cheap!
Hi,

I wrote you a pn.

Regards

Andreas
Ciao Andreas,

I wrote you a pn.

Regards

Gino
Hi,

some people had problems with the connection of a rudder angle sensor in combination with the linear actuator from pcnautic.

I have revised the manuals and added a few rows with more informations about this.

I uploaded a repair manual for changing a burned potentiometer in the linear actuator.

You can find it here: GitHub - AndreasW29/pypilot-tinypilot-mysolution-infos: Guide and kicad schematics

Best regards

Andreas
@Andreas29 Thanks for this idea!
I have an actuator with a pot built in similarly, and it stopped working. I thought I had damaged the wires to the pot, but now that I see how these are built, I could have easily also burned out the pot. Either way, I should be able to fix it and reclaim my expensive linear pot I installed parallel to the actuator.
This is from actually burning out the potentiometer? Is this from wiring it wrong and applying 5v to the brush them moving it to the extreme?

The other possibility is wearing out as many potentiometers have limited cycles of 10,000
Hi,

the problems i know were caused by wrong connection with a thermal destruction of the pot due to a shorten circuit when applying something other than Sense to the brush and reaching one of the end stops.

Regards

Andreas
I see... my motor controllers have some current limiting built in, but it may not be enough, as applying power to the brush and approaching a stop will cause excessive current on a small part of the potentiometer.

Another way would be to have a potentiometer which cannot reach the absolute limit, so always has a minimum resistance of say 500 ohms. I believe other autopilot rudder feedback are like this.

I am prototyping 3d printed angular hall-effect sensors for rudder feedback to avoid wear out, as well as being completely waterproof, and these seem to not be damaged by connecting the wires in the wrong way.
I have sold the last 2 years more then 200 drives of this type, most of them are replacements for the common Brands and we send them plug and play with connectors.
None of them have occurred any problems with the rudderfeedback/potentiometer.
I guess I have only send like 10 units for DIY projects and I have 3 of them reported broken. 
When you have the 5 volt connected and no resistance to the wiper a small touch to GND with the wiper wil burn the potentiometer.