This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pypilot plugin connection problem with V0.22
Hello,

Since the update of my pypilot plugin(V:0.22), I can no longer connect it to pypilot. Is there a connection setting that has changed? I still have a connection to and from the port 'localhost: 20220', as before. Through the openplotter / pypilot menu, everything works.
Any idea for interfacing? thank you for your comeback

Cordially
I think you asked this question before.

The issue is a known problem and described here:
https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread....9#pid16109

A nasty caveat is the the old plugin might require an 5.0.0 version of opencpn and that might be an issue. If the 0.5 version of the plugin works with your current opencpn version that would be the easiest solution (https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+archive/ubuntu/opencpn/)

The second easiest solution would be upgrading tinypilot to 20201021 and you are up and running, this would be my preferred option (backup your old image!).
If you use openplotter you can upgrade the pypilot core using github or you can wait for an openplotter-pypilot upgrade.
The data format has changed to make it more efficient but unfortunately this broke the connection. I'm hoping not to do this again.

Anyway, you would have to downgrade the plugin or upgrade pypilot.
Thanks a lot for your answers,
I would like to downgrade my opencpn plugin but I cannot find the sources for pypilot_pi 0.10; Do you have a link?
(2020-12-14, 08:57 PM)kinefou Wrote: Thanks a lot for your answers,
I would like to downgrade my opencpn plugin but I cannot find the sources for pypilot_pi 0.10; Do you have a link?

Normally when using git you never use a hard reset, but here it makes things easy.
$ git clone https://github.com/pypilot/pypilot_pi
$ cd pypilot_pi/
$ git log                      # search the line with the last date in 2019
$ git reset --hard 2529509c012ca00402ed953b7ddf11f1a8f1652f
$ cat VERSION.cmake

And than the usual:
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake ..
$ make -j2 package
(The last is assuming you use Linux on x86_64 or armhf. Follow the standard project (git) documentation, install the necessary packages, etc..)

I believe Sean remarked in the other thread the 0.10 version might not work with the 5.2.x OpenCPN.
Therefore it's your own risk (you can also compile the 5.0.0 version of OpenCPN from git).
Thank you very much for this tip which allows me to answer my question and especially which makes me advance with great strides in the understanding of Linux and Github. I didn't know you could query the git to get the versions listed!
We learn something every day and that's make life and sharing marvelous !!
Very nice!
(2020-12-15, 01:07 PM)kinefou Wrote: Thank you very much for this tip which allows me to answer my question and especially which makes me advance with great strides in the understanding of Linux and Github. I didn't know you could query the git to get the versions listed!
We learn something every day and that's make life and  sharing marvelous !!
Very nice!

I would just upgrade your TinyPilot image to match the new plugin, it is more stable. In fact, I have not lost connection in weeks! Before the upgrade I would lose connection between TinyPilot and the pypilot plugin every couple of hours.

Just use a new sd card  in your TinyPilot and set your old one aside for safe keeping in case you run into troubles or need settings. take note of your gain settings etc or any adjustments you made, and you should be good to go.
It was a while ago I did this, but I believe all you need to do is add a 3 to the end of

python setup.py build

instead

python3 setup.py build
(2020-12-27, 12:36 AM)rastam4n Wrote: It was a while ago I did this, but I believe all you need to do is add a 3 to the end of

python setup.py build

instead

python3 setup.py build

Thanks for this. I eventually did it by redirecting the python link - system-wide:

Code:
sudo rm /usr/bin/python

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/python

I expected  all types of problems occurring, but apparently all other openplotter modules have neatly been migrated to python3 already.
it's confusing.. another machine I have, python is python3 by default already.

I have no idea if this will break a raspbian system though.