This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
presets for pypilot

Hi

I have to say with better experience of pypilot that i use very low gain settings and I almost NEVER change them, and i think it adapt itself automatically very well ! When heading change quickly in hard back seas for example, pypilot corrects quickly too, even with low gains, but if heading is stable, he is just reacting very calmly.

On a long trip I used the same gains settings during weeks, from 8knots upwind to 40knots downwind with the seas states who belongs to, and pypilot was steering very (very !) well. I use higher gains only in very light winds when the boat is almost not manoeuvrable and needs big steering action to react. Most of the time, the power consumption is shown on the plugin between 2 and 6watts !
(2022-10-30, 10:24 PM)Artimon Wrote: Hi

I have to say with better experience of pypilot that i use very low gain settings and I almost NEVER change them, and i think it adapt itself automatically very well ! When heading change quickly in hard back seas for example, pypilot corrects quickly too, even with low gains, but if heading is stable, he is just reacting very calmly.

On a long trip I used the same gains settings during weeks, from 8knots upwind to 40knots downwind with the seas states who belongs to, and pypilot was steering very (very !) well. I use higher gains only in very light winds when the boat is almost not manoeuvrable and needs big steering action to react. Most of the time, the power consumption is shown on the plugin between 2 and 6watts !

Hi Artimon,
This looks to be very good performance from your pypilot setup. Well done !
I am wondering if you are using any sort of rudder feedback on your setup.
Thanks
If you have some DD gain it should almost always improve performance at least in following seas.

If the autopilot steers as easily as you say, it says more about the boat than the pilot.
Hi Chookfoot,

I'm currently not using any rudder feedback, but thinking about it specialy for very weak winds when the pilot can lost the heading. Still really happy of my pilot's performances after another quite long trip in Indian ocean this year (around 3000nm).

I'll definitely try to add some DD for a try but i'm not sure how it could steer even better  Tongue I notice that my gain setup is still almost the same compared to last year. 

The boat is effectively not hard to balance but, for me, the ability of pypilot to steer with very few movements on the wheel is unique and so appreciable !     

Another recent evidence of the very low power consumption ! Calm weather in this area.