This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solenoid mode for engine driven hydraulic pump
H Sean,
Thank you for your answer.
for now I have it working (not yet installed) with a more readable motor. Ino from a fork.
I have played with the slew and min max and I drive regular relays correctly (unfortunately the relay  board is pull down so I will need to tweak it).
I started to play around with a raspberry 1 revb and arduino uno that I had aboard but moved to rapbpi zero and a nano clone that has solved some problems
I have a troller without mast and huge rudder.
So engine is always on when cruising. Before I added compensation o the rudder the force was huge so I designed the hydraulic accordingly and went for a "power steering", same type of valve than clark elevator.
This allow very easy maneuvering with a small wheel and fewer turns (great for the admirall
I added solenoid as it is simpler and reliable than a wheel motor for autopilot
The Isuzu engine has a embedded gear port for hydraulic pump so it is neat and reliable.
As the engine is always running I am not too anal about energy (also have 800w of solar).
Will update after I have some miles under the keel with pypilot.
BTW to solve the alternator problem charging lithium I did use a specialized chip TLE8881-2 that is cheap and has quite a lot of fearure. It use Lin communication.  There was an arduino project (vsr regulator) but the developer went commercial and it is no noore maintained.
I tough the future is on alternators with communication port. So far I did not manage to communicate with it but the default settings give good result.  So if one day you struggle with alternator battery charging you can remember there is cheap and elegant solution and an alternator control/display via Lin could be a good feature in openplotter even if it is not really navigation.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/...e8881-2tn/

Hi Sean,
Thank you for your answer.
for now I have it working (not yet installed) with a more readable motor. Ino from a fork.
I have played with the slew and min max and I drive regular relays correctly (unfortunately the relay  board is pull down so I will need to tweak it).
I also started to play with a raspberry 1 revb and arduino uno that I had aboard but moved to rapbpi zero and a nano clone
I have a troller without mast and huge rudder.
So engine is always on when cruising. Before I added compensation o the rudder the force was huge so I designed the hydraulic accordingly and went for a "power steering", same type of valve than clark elevator.
This allow very easy maneuvering with a small wheel and fewer turns (great for the admirall
I added solenoid as it is simpler and reliable than a wheel motor for autopilot
The Isuzu engine has a embedded gear port for hydraulic pump so it is neat and reliable.
As the engine is always running I am not too anal about energy (also have 800w of solar).
BTW to solve the alternator problem charging lithium I did use a specialized chip TLE8881-2 that is cheap and has quite a lot of fearure. It use Lin communication.  There was an arduino project (vsr regulator) but the developer went commercial and it is no noore maintained.
I tough the future is on alternators with communication port. So far I did not manage to communicate with it but the default settings give good result.  So if one day you struggle with alternator battery charging you can remember there is cheap and elegant solution and an alternator control/display via Lin could be a good feature in openplotter even if it is not really navigation.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/...e8881-2tn/

Messages In This Thread
RE: Solenoid mode for engine driven hydraulic pump - by Siusb - 2021-01-04, 06:44 AM