This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
openplotter-i2c-read errors in system log
Hi, I am using OpenPlotter 2 on a Rasperry Pi 3B+ with the Moitessier HAT installed, the setup is working fine with data coming from the board into SignalK and OpenCPN, however looking in the syslog I see the following errors which are repeated every few seconds, after the service is restarted by systemd

Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter openplotter-i2c-read[2526]: Traceback (most recent call last):
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter openplotter-i2c-read[2526]:   File "/usr/bin/openplotter-i2c-read", line 11, in <module>
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter openplotter-i2c-read[2526]:     load_entry_point('openplotterI2c==2.2.0', 'console_scripts', 'openplotter-i2c-read')
()
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter openplotter-i2c-read[2526]:   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 489, in load_ent
ry_point
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter openplotter-i2c-read[2526]:     return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter openplotter-i2c-read[2526]:   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2793, in load_en
try_point
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter openplotter-i2c-read[2526]:     return ep.load()
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter openplotter-i2c-read[2526]:   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2411, in load
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter openplotter-i2c-read[2526]:     return self.resolve()
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter openplotter-i2c-read[2526]:   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2417, in resolve
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter openplotter-i2c-read[2526]:     module = __import__(self.module_name, fromlist=['__name__'], level=0)
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter openplotter-i2c-read[2526]:   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openplotterI2c/openplotterI2cRead.py", line 18, in <module>
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter openplotter-i2c-read[2526]:     import socket, time, threading, board, busio
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter openplotter-i2c-read[2526]: ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'board'
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter systemd[1]: openplotter-i2c-read.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jan  3 19:13:08 openplotter systemd[1]: openplotter-i2c-read.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'

I have been unable to find any information on this error or what it means, but it seems quite worrying that a core process is failing to read I2C data, and obviously it is also filling my syslog up with errors which I would prefer to avoid!

I seem to have the latest versions of all software packages (checked via the OP Settings app just now) so I wonder if this is a known issue and if there is a fix?

Thanks,
Will
Problem was fixed, it was necessary to manually run the post-install script for the I2C package in the Settings app (https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...ating.html). Rookie mistake but from the wording in the app it was not clear that I needed to do this, and the docs don't mention it either (happy to help with making this better).

After running the post-install script the necessary python modules were installed (in particular adafruit-blinka which was causing the errors above) and the errors have now stoped.
if you update any openplotter app from openploter-setings, the post-install scripts will be ran automatically. If you install any app from the terminal the post-install scripts will be ran after the first time you try tu open the app. I do not understand what failed in your system, let me know if you find out anything.