This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, I am impressed by the amount of knowledge and expertise which I am seeing here.  Too much info to know where to begin looking, so I will ask here for help to get me going. I have an old Navico PH8000 Autopilot  (I have the Manual) with a hydraulic linear actuator, attached to steering quadrant on (Wheeled) sailing yacht.  The gear also includes a heading sensor, a rudder position sensor and a pump. The pump and actuator seem to be working ok. The computer end (JA800 box ) appears to be dying, trouble on holding headings last season and cannot now get down to boat to check it out.   I'm computer literate, but I am not an electronics expert.  I did install a lot of gear myself by way of chart-plotter, AIS etc. across a Seatalk backbone.  
I would be happy if I could just achieve the original role of the set up, i.e. going from one position to another in a relatively straight line. Multiple waypoint course following would be a great bonus, but I would settle for the simple solution for the moment. 
I have 2 questions 
1.Would it be worthwhile for me to begin studying PYPilot as a potential solution ( Everything else is on Seatalk) ? 
2 Is anyone aware of a solution to my Navico problem - that would allow me to focus on where I need to look and study in here?
Many thanks in advance for your help. 
John
I have found where I need to go and have ordered a Raspberry Pi. Im holding off on the Moitessier Hat , as I understand that an upgrade is on the way soon. I might get back here if I hit a technicality  wall.  Smile